"BIG RED" new discovery

"Umm, Jean? Remember those pickled jellyfish I made you guys eat? Well, wouldn't you just know it, but I've had a squiz at the jar, and some bugger went and switched up the specimen labels on me. Nothing to worry about, they were jellyfish, and they were "pickled," technically speaking..."

:yuck:

Howdy Folks!

Two Cent trivia :twocents: : Some nudibranchs (yes, back to the subject of molluscs! :P ) eat anemones and actually transfer untriggered nematocysts to their skin to use as weapons. Kick-booty!

Oh, and I have had jellyfish salad... Nothing to write home about, but I've had worse. Like beef liver :yuck: .. Two words about my experience with beef liver: "projectile" and ... Well, I'll spare you the next one...

Sushi and Sake, but hold the Tako-Yaki,

John

I have not, to my knowledge, eaten or in any way consumed a jellyfish...but you never know! At a roadside stand in Akumal (yucatan) there was a vendor selling tacos...you could buy chicken tacos, beef tacos, pork tacos(?), fish tacos, or....."meat" tacos. Go figure...but I bet it purred or barked!
Greg

i dunno....i always thought fish tacos sounded kind of sketchy to me, the pork doesnt surprise me.... the only question is whether the mystery meat was significantly cheaper than the others....

actually, a good fish taco can be really, really good...and a bad one is horrible! and yes, the "meat " tacos were much less (50%) than the others...the pork taco was the one that bothered me...I never saw any pigs in the yucutan...hmmm.
Greg

Clem said:
On my life's list of Animals That Make Me Ill, they rank quite high: somewhere between pelagic neudebranchs....

Hey dude, watch yer beak -- my cousins are beautiful, and Poseidon help the hominid who says otherwise:

Sitestar.net Your Technology Partner

I bet all you clumsy mammals wish you looked that good when you dance!

Tanijinsky
Prima Ballerina, PEERLESS
(People for the Exaltation of Entities Resembling Loathsome Exudates of Slimy Snot)

Hey, I found some video footage of Big Red:

Big Red Video

Instructions: Click the video image link on the left side of the page. Then, in the pop-up window, use the horizontal scroll bar to scroll all the way to the right. The Big Red footage is the last one.

Get to this fast, I have a feeling the site will be removing this soon.

tonmo said:
Hey, I found some video footage of Big Red:

Big Red Video

Instructions: Click the video image link on the left side of the page. Then, in the pop-up window, use the horizontal scroll bar to scroll all the way to the right. The Big Red footage is the last one.

Get to this fast, I have a feeling the site will be removing this soon.

Oh boy, Clem's gonna be thrilled about this one.... :mrgreen:

Frankly I think the critter is rather beautiful. I also played the one about Frieda the Jar-Opening Octopus, but I'm confused as to why this is "news".... are we the only people in the world who knew for several years that Octos could do this? Even THE PLANET'S FUNNIEST ANIMALS (Animal Planet's answer to AMERICA'S FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS) showed a Jar-Opening Octopus video several weeks ago.

:?

"In photographs, it looks like a big red spaceship cruising the ocean depths. "

coming to abduct a certain TONMO member..... :twisted:

we should take the symbolism thread off on a tangent and psychoanalyze mr. clem and his distaste for our transparent friends.....

because sometimes a jelly just isnt a jelly :smile:

:cthulhu: :heart: :beer:

WhiteKiboko said:
we should take the symbolism off on a tangent and psychoanalyze mr. clem and his distaste for our transparent friends.....

Let's don't. Why don't I just tell you?

In 1974, I went to stay in a cottage in Maine with my parents and grandmother. It rained for the four days we were there, rained through fog. I'd never fished before, and my dad showed me how to do it from a small dock near the cottage. I caught and landed a mackerel, and was delighted until I saw the blood coming from the gills. It wasn't what I wanted, and I could feel the hook myself, so I insisted we let it go. It was a goner by then, but it twitched when it hit the water, and kept twitching as it sank, so I felt a little better.

The next day, we went for a walk on the shoreline, and the tide had left dead jellyfish on the rocks. They reminded me of the fish I killed, and I started crying again, and climbed up my dad's shoulders because I wasn't convinced those jellies were dead. I was, however, convinced that they could jump.

Nothing fancy, there. Sorry.

:roll:

Clem

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back