[Cuttlefish]: BIG Cuttle Journal

They seem bandensis to me. The colors/patterns are a little off, but they seem to have the 'eye' spots on the top of the mantle, the dots around the fin and some of the patters I see a lot. They could be anything though, and there are many cuttles that are very similar to bandensis. Can you call the store and ask what part of the world they came from?

When males 'face off' they get dark black. :biggrin2:

Great.

It shouldn't be is S. officinalis, and they don't look anything like juvie S. latimanus, so I am going to go with S. bandensis or similar until we get better pics. :biggrin2:

Addict! :biggrin2: I know a guy...

II has seen freshly imported animals do weird colors. Captive S.b often don't look like wild S.b so I wonder if we are seeing color and display differences that go away in captivity like in the more exotic cephs.

Thales;131954 said:
Addict! :biggrin2: I know a guy...

II has seen freshly imported animals do weird colors. Captive S.b often don't look like wild S.b so I wonder if we are seeing color and display differences that go away in captivity like in the more exotic cephs.

:biggrin2: Give me a year or so to get my two toddlers under control... I'll have a bigger tank by then...

I wonder if it has to do with artificial light vs. natural sunlight...

cuttlegirl;131955 said:
:biggrin2: Give me a year or so to get my two toddlers under control... I'll have a bigger tank by then...

I wonder if it has to do with artificial light vs. natural sunlight...

Toddlers under control? They just get louder and even slipperier than any ceph you'll encounter!

Well, I have to admit that I am relieved that the new cuttles probably aren't latimanus...not that I wouldn't love to have a 2ft cuttle, but once it outgrows the bathtub, where am I going to put the darn thing?? :biggrin2:
That is interesting about a difference between color/pattern in WC vs. CB cuttles, and natural vs. artificial light. I had not thought of that, but it makes sense...

I would say they most likely are bandensis, but the some of the patterns and coloring didnt look familiar to me at first. It may be true that wild bandensis show different patterns. I noticed this as well when a local store brought some in. They to had unusual dark patterns, but they definitely were bandensis when I looked closely.

Finally got home from a long day at work. Unfortunately one of the four cuttles did not make it, but the remaining 3 are doing well. I can't tell if the dead one was the smaller male or one of the females. The biggest male was out and about, but the other two were hiding. I could not get a good enough look to tell what gender they were. Obviously, I am hoping that the two females are the ones that survived.
I was able to get a few better pics of the biggest male--

Attachments

• conv_293787.jpg
    conv_293787.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 103
  • conv_293788.jpg
    conv_293788.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 149
  • conv_293789.jpg
    conv_293789.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 119
  • conv_293790.jpg
    conv_293790.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 109

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back