• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Best way to keep temp down?

Yeah, well I dont really care. I traded room space for a yard. The only time I spend in my room is when Im sleeping, and soon to be octo gazing. My room has a bed, beauro, a fish tank, and a nice chair next to my tank, and its quite tight in there. What I do like is its warm in the winter and cool in the summer (compairitively). Just wish I had a closet... Oh well.

Cooling has been a topic on the Atlanta Reef Club forum so I have been watching the threads for other ideas. Nothing new has popped up but one member said they found $9 and $6 clip on fans at Wal-Mart today.

My mom is 100% opposed to a fish tank, and she doesnt want to see it. Iv asked a few times, because if the AC is set for 84 the downstairs room is about 74, just because its on a cement slab and there are so may air jets down there. My dad on the other hand doesnt really care, and suggested we put it on a brick planter by the door ( we have the 1960s Brady Bunch brick planters, well only one now, we took one out of the kitchen) So, its not likely. Although it would make my job of tank maintainence so much easier.

I realize that this is probably impossible, but in case it's not I'll toss the idea out there...

Did I read correctly that your mom requires that your tank (and icky octopus) must be out of her sight in your room, but that you have permission to keep your RO/DI filter in your basement? If so, it would be ideal if you could also get permission to put a sump in the basement, and run two PVC pipes between your sump and your tank. Is there an easy place to run the pipes (or even flexible tubing) between your room and the basement that won't require drilling holes in the floor? (through an air vent or even outside and in through your window?) If you could sell the idea, it would solve a lot of space, heat, and maintenance problems. The fact that this plan would drastically reduce the chances that you could spill salt water in your mom's house, might help her approve it.

If you think there's a chance that this plan could be approved, I can give you some more specific suggestions of how to set it up.

Thanks for the idea, but its a no. I dont have a basement. My house is two floors no basement. upstairs, downstairs, and slightly more down stairs to our 2nd living room. The pipe would have to go through the floor to get to my room. I think I have a plan. My new battle is the feeding tank. I ordered a 12 gallon eclipse system for shrimp/crabs and the problem Im having now is that she wont let me use it. I gave her the money for it, and she ordered for me, but after I get it, she says no more fish tanks. Im trying to calmly work something out, but shes shooting down all ration. She finally said, that if I cover my floor with a tarp, I can set up the 12 gallon tank. At that my dad said no, because it would look rediculous. Im at a loss here... Im so confused, and Im hiding before I blow up and start screaming about how she makes no sense and she takes a hammer to my tanks.

To protect your floor, and not look ridiculous, look around for a piece of rolled vinyl flooring. Lowes has a new (6' x 9' precut sheets) for $28, but you can probably get a used piece big enough to cover your floor for free. Check Craigslist, or post a wanted ad there. You don't want vinyl flooring tiles or laminate pieces, you want the sheets. Vinyl is totally water proof, and looks like flooring. Just make sure that you lay it down so that it is about an inch bigger than the floor all around so the edges curl upward a little where it touches the wall, so that any water that is spilled can't run over the edge of the vinyl and get under it.

Did you say that your AC came up through the floor? If so this kind of floor covering could be a problem.

Good luck

Yes my AC comes from the floor and celling in my room. The problem has been resolved. I have the tank on my beauro and under it I have a 2x2 piece of a tarp. Im going to put food that I catch in there so I just went down to my community beach and grabbed some sand and water right from the crab and shrimps natural habitat. They will be in in a week or two. And for now I have a blue gill in my tank. Ill take a pic when the water clears up. Oh and the shrimp Im going to catch are brackish (Chesapeake Bay)

I have a new semi related question. When you are setting up a tank, how long does it take for the sand to settle? Iv had my feeder tank set for 12 hours or so, and its still very cloudy. The water was clear when I got it.

You are good. It often takes several days (up to a week) for a new substrate to settle (depending on how fine it is). It is helpful to rinse the bottom substrate before putting it in the tank but it will clear. Are you running a filter?

Ok, the water has cleared. The substrate is strange. It doesnt feel like dry sand, kind of clumpy, but its my octo foods natural habitat. BTW I now have 3 bluegill. I read that 3 is the max for a 10 gal, so ill keep 3 in my 12 gal. Yes Im running a 150 gph filter in there. Its not really helping with some stuff, but its oxygenating anyway. Im going to take the pic in a minute and Ill try to post it.

The top left is Will Smith The bottom right with the red gill mark is Jerry Seinfeld and the other is Bill Cosby. What my friend and I were going to do was get a webcam and have a live stream just of my fish titled Jerry Seinfeld Live. I would have like a million views because people would think it was a stream of the comedian and then It would just be fish. (clarifier, the fish in front of the rock is Jerry)

Attachments

• conv_296244.jpg
    conv_296244.jpg
    851.5 KB · Views: 74

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back