Best way to keep live mysis to prevent cannibalism?

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by Fieroguy19, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Fieroguy19

Fieroguy19 Larval Mass Registered

So I have 3 baby cuttles and ordered 100 live mysis for them that arrived on Friday. I put the mysis in a breeder net to themselves and put a few frozen mysis in there with them and some reef chili. Tonight when I was looking at them it seemed as though there are only about 30-40 left out of the 100.

Are there any tips as to how to keep more of them alive and prevent cannibalism? I thought I read that they are aquicultured in shallow tanks with lots of surface area and lots of food. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

2. Octopus_Reef

Octopus_Reef O. vulgaris Supporter

I keep 500 mysis in a 20 gallon rubbermaid container with an airstone, I do 2 water changes a week (50%) I feed fine flake food and frozen cyclopeeze to them so they are "gutloaded" for my cuttles. this seems to work very well for me.

3. Brock Fluharty

Brock Fluharty Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

How many mysis will a newly hatched cuttle eat per day?

4. Octopus_Reef

Octopus_Reef O. vulgaris Supporter

Once they start eating maybe 1-3 a day, after a week or two maybe 4-6? Depends, I have 14 baby cuttles now and they are all eating like little pigs I go through roughly 250 mysis a week.

5. Fieroguy19

Fieroguy19 Larval Mass Registered

Well thanks for the tips. I think I will probably set up a 10gal tank for them (100) and will try to feed them more.

6. Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby Cuttlefish Registered

I put my 100 mysis in a 10 gal tank and they have all but disappeared despite what I felt like was plenty of flake food (there's still a bit of it settled on the bottom). How much should I be feeding 100 mysis? Is cyclop-eeze necessary for the mysis? (I get that it's good for what eats them, but I was trying to culture a good population before my briareus eggs hatch, thus dont need to waste cyclop-eeze on them until they are getting eaten).
    Has anyone ever tried the Reef Nutrition brand bottled mysis?

7. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

You might set up a few brine shrimp hatcheries so you have a bunch of fresh nauplii you can add every day. They might go after those instead of eachother.

Otherwise I was in the same boat when I had cuttles. I'd always run out of mysids in 5 days, regardless of whether I ordered 50 or 150.

Dan