• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

best bio media?

good stuff keith. I just set up my 75 gallon. I swear im gonna post pics... soon........ I actually have a question. I just started cycling my tank and i put in 5 lbs a rubble rock into the fuge with some cheato. should i leave the skimmer off or turn it on? If off, for how long?

usually a tank will peak nitrates around a month after ammonia is introduced. after that i believe you're supposed to do a water change. This is from what i've read over the past while. I think after you get reading of nitrates and you do a water change it's ok to use the skimmer.

ah. cool. the only thing im deciding now is what kind of live rock to get. i dont know if its just what look you want or if theres a real difference. ive seen Caribbean, Fiji, Melanesian, Nano, South Pacific Live Sand, Tonga Branch and Tonga Slab. whats best?

-Keith

the only difference that I could find was that some are more pourus than others. i dunno if thats something i want or not? i was leanin towards fiji, i know of a site where i can get it pretty cheap and i believe it has been precured. the nano rock sounds pretty good to though. well. you guys always know best. opinions?

-Keith

Have you looked for any local aquarium society forums? I bought 5lbs of rubble rock to start cycling in the fuge for 10 bucks. It's better than most of what i've seen at any other vendor. Usually i can find enough LR for my tank at 3 a #. I really wouldn't pay more for it than that. nano rock sounds like it might come from a nano tank. You have a 75 and you'd probably want bigger pieces than that.

cool. i dont think theres much of a aquarium enthusiest population in my area. there definately is in the bay area, but im just outside it. ill look around though.

-Keith

yeah i saw that. it looked like the scmas forums site was down. You'd be suprised sometimes at who has a tank. I just found out my neighbor of 18 years had one when i saw them carrying RO water... crazy

Keith;120564 said:
cool. i dont think theres much of a aquarium enthusiest population in my area. there definately is in the bay area, but im just outside it. ill look around though.

-Keith

www.bareefers.org

:biggrin2:

It may be worth your trip to a meeting to pick up a bunch of used live rock, and odds are someone is near you or will meet you part way.

I stuck a little pvc attatchment to my return line and dropped it a couple of inches below the water surface and forgot to drill siphon breaks... Yeah it scared the hell out of me. I just sealed all leaks and cleaned up the spilled water. I dropped some activated carbon to help clear the tank. Just waiting now.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back