• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Benthoctopus wut is it?

nini

Wonderpus
Registered
i was just wondering, there are soooo many different species of octo,so wut is a Benthoctopus?does anyone know much about them, please explain,size,traitslife span ect.
im just intrested in learning more about the different species of octo,thanks!!!

heres a pic of Benthoctopus :biggrin2:hes sooo cute!!!

Attachments

• conv_302229.jpg
    conv_302229.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 76
If you're interested in octopuses and in all cephs, here's a very good book for you. The link below leads you to a review of this book:

Cephalopods: A World Guide

This book by Mark Norman will answer many of your questions and contains outstanding photos.

But, to give you more of an answer, the word 'benthic" means bottom dwelling.

Benthoctopus is the name of a genus, a cateory of octopuses. There are a number of species with the name Benthoctopus such as Benthoctopus levis

Nancy

...just watch you don't get hassle from posting other people's pictures too :wink:

I think that the reason not many people keep them will be temerature related, they like it reallly cold, but I do know that James Wood (ceph) did a lot of work with thema while back... Maybe try cephbase? Or The Cephalopod Page

Just comparing photos, I think it looks very much like Benthoctopus levis - in fact, the photo you posted looks exactly like the photo in the Cephalopods of the World book, only there it has a black background.

Nancy

nini, this is not a common octopus. This little octopus is only known from one island in the Indian Ocean - so you will never be able to keep it (unless you become a marine biologist :smile: )

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back