• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

bendensis hatching out already

jellyfish

Cuttlefish
Registered
hi guys ,
first post on this site (great site by the way) .
I am in need of advice i finally got hold of a few eggs and was told they would start hatching in a couple of weeks.
i got up this morning and found five little flashers.
my question is would freshly hatched brine be ok for first two days as i ordered some copepod should be here tommorrow morning or do the hatchlings not eat for a couple of days after hatching thanks:smile:

for freshly hached s. bandensis you need bigger stuff.

Mine start eating after two weeks.

Copepods and freshly hached brine are much to small!

They need live mysid shrimps, that is the best food for them. May for a few days adult (!) brine will also do it, but for main food brine are not good.

They should be ok for a couple of days. They do feed on 'pods at first and mysids. Can you find any 'pods at an LFS or in your refugium? Brine shrimp are not a good food for cuttlefish at any stage.

hi cuttle girl,
should have some copepods arriving this morning not holding my breath thou.
whats your opinion on times between hatching and their first meal ? i read somewhere normally two or three days but nippel said his didnt eat for two weeks seems a long time.
buying pods in the uk is soooooo expensive and you feel a bit like:banghead: will make more calls today thanks for your advice

hey jellyfish,

how long is the distance between you and the sea? I think it's in the whole UK not so big, that you can't go there.

My advice is to get the Mysis or some flea shrimps from the sea. In UK you have such big luck, that you have a lot of stone coast. And you can also find lots of little shrimps in the mudflat. You only need a net like this:

http://cgi.ebay.de/DAM-Kescher-DER-...0.m14&_trkparms=65:10|66:4|39:1|293:1|294:200

And then pull it over the sand. Walk 5-10m with that and you will see you have so much food for your cuttles.

The sea will feed your cuttles the whole year.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back