Belemite Hooklet?

Roz

Pygmy Octopus
Registered

I was wondering if this is a belemite hooklet for sure? I broke it by mistake right after I found it. It was found in a cretaceous site.

Attachments

• conv_302632.jpg
    conv_302632.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 217
Some of them may be fossils. They seem to have the shape, the middle one looks alot like an echinoid, and the last one looks like a high spired gastropod. They may be casts that were filled with pyrite and the pyrite has grown beyond the shape of the original mold, or when it changed to marcasite it changed shape. Detritus (organic waste material from decomposing dead plants or animals) is prime for pyrite deposition so almost anything on the seafloor at the time of diagenesis (the physical, chemical or biological alteration of sediments into sedimentary rocks) could be replaced.

Using some big words, from the sedimentology book I just purchased and read, just for fun :biggrin2:

Upvote 0
Thanks Kevin, very interesting. I found a couple of lozenge shaped pieces very similar to Roz's first picture last Saturday jutting out of chalk blocks on my local beach. I thought that they were pyritised deposits of some form, but could not determine what exactly. Your post helps to explain things greatly.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back