Beginning my Research . . .

Go for the cuttlefish (sorry, I'm a little biased). As long as you can spare the expense and time, it is worth trying cuttlefish. In either case (octopus or cuttlefish), the wait to get one can be frustrating. There are a lot of unhappy endings with octopus too, cephalopods are fragile animals and sometimes don't survive the journey from wild to LFS to you. If you are interested in keeping a small group (like three...), cuttlefish are interesting to watch interact with each other. They are not as interactive with humans, but they do notice you (especially if you are their "food slave"). You wouldn't have to escape-proof your tank, you would just have to protect any intakes with foam.

I am definitely beginning to lean towards cuttlefish.... the journey brings back memories of when I was trying to raise seahorse fry when I unexpectedly found my tank full of them one morning. So exciting, so challenging, so emotional (good and bad).

Little more reading and thinking to do, and then will be time to think about relocating the fish that are currently in the tank.

Sue

Can we take a poll or vote on which I should try first: cuttlefish eggs or an octopus? Keep in mind, I most definitely do NOT want to set up another tank at this point, so the home would be my current 46 gallon bowfront (with modifications).
Sue
P.S. It seems like I won't have a problem getting my hand on either (time will tell) because a LFS says he can easily get me an octopus and NY Aquatics can get me cuttlefish eggs, so nothing to sway me on that issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back