• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Beginner Tank

AprylWillis

GPO
Registered
I guess no one has any suggestions for what plants I should put into my salt water tank to get the system up and running and in peak condition?

I noticed that other posts were being responded to.

I really don't want to have to beg for help.

What kind of light system should I buy for the aquarium? I was using a low-lighting system before for the octopus.

hey i am very new to i am geting me octo on thursday but i will try to help you from what i no from all the info i found i heard that they dont really like light so try to get a low light

I think part of the problem Apryl, is that not many of us have planted aquariums!

We have Bladder (Giant) kelp Macrocystis pyrifera, Neptunes Necklace Hormosira banksii, Branching velvet weed Codium fragile assorted coralines (not always by choice!) and a few others. BUT we don't generally grow them. We collect parts of plants because we have a few herbivores who can chew plants down to the rocks very quickly indeed!

J

AprylWillis;89328 said:
I guess no one has any suggestions for what plants I should put into my salt water tank to get the system up and running and in peak condition?

I noticed that other posts were being responded to.

I really don't want to have to beg for help.

What kind of light system should I buy for the aquarium? I was using a low-lighting system before for the octopus.

Danthemarineman;89336 said:
I have a bunch of plants I could send you.
hey you think that you can send me so plants too........new tank

I understand that a lot of you don't house plants in the aquarium--let alone lighting. I'm sorry for being so impatient. I'm just excited about setting up my tank.

AprylWillis;89328 said:
...suggestions for what plants I should put into my salt water tank to get the system up and running and in peak condition? ...

I would say that plants don't seem to get a saltwater ceph tank in peak condition. They are pretty to look at and add to a otherwise sparce tank, but normally degrade the water quality more often than improve it.

Thisis not true in reef tanks with little fish flitting around and bright lighting. Octos will most likely pull it up or play with the rubber band that is trying to help them root. The lighting that is prime to get a octo to come out and play is less than plants need. You can have bright lighting for plants and never see your octo during the day.

I use Cheato in the sump to absorb nitrates and try to help coraline algae, but that is pretty much it for plants.

AprylWillis;90563 said:
Where can I find a 48" light fixture for fish and coral that won't burn my budget? I can spend up to 250$.

On Ebay there is a pretty cool 48" power compact for $125 including shipping. Just search for aquarium lighting on there.

Someone sent me to a website and I can get a 48" temp light for $50. It has everything I want for a temp move to my new place. I really appreciate the feedback. In the future, I plan on getting an Orbit lighting for my saltwater fish. I want to breed clown fish.

What is the normal PH for saltwater? Mine is at 8.2 and I read somewhere that that is considered normal.

Our tester fish died, but we think it was because he had a smaller fin on one side. The "nemo" syndrom.

I've added a buffer and the water is crystal clear. The PH is still 8.2. I have PH down and PH up, so whatever anyone recommends, I can try either one on the tank.

Has anyone had any luck with Corallife lights? I want to put in LED lights for breeding. It would be easy to get a Corallife light, because my LFS carries the ballasts that I would need to eventually replace in the future :smile:

Thanks you guys!

Hugs,
Apryl

Attachments

• conv_291749.jpg
    conv_291749.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 115
  • conv_291748.jpg
    conv_291748.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 77

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back