Because what's in the bible matters to science

To say that cephalopods are not living things is to make a very stupid claim. I hope that we can all agree that it's stupid, regardless of how me might feel about the general truthfulness of any particular Great Big (Scary) Book. Any person who avers that their Book proves something that is so obviously wrong is not doing his or her religion much of a favour. Questioning the validity of any self-proclaimed authority is a very good and essential thing to do, and it's more than a little sad that we feel obliged to censor such discussions out of some vague fear that a few heads might explode. But I suppose that there are long-standing rules about the content of this forum. While the initial post in this thread is, I think, entirely appropriate for this forum, the imminent discussion (one I'd very much like to have) may not be. If something as important as People's Feet couldn't cut the mustard in The Octopus' Den... :roll:

Every time I see one of those "Question Authority!" bumper stickers, I have an urge to hold up a sign that says "Who the Hell are you to tell me to question authority?"

edit: perhaps this is too indirect: I mean to be questioning the authority of the bumper sticker.

On a similar theme:

tmcm060116.gif

I just try and get along with everyone, and shy from debate in such matters; I know that there are many religious folk online and I simply don't want them to be (unecessarily) offended by any posting herein, on an octopus website.

I sincerely believe we need more religion today - people who believe in something other than themselves, whatever they call their God - because religious folk that I know generally have more morals, and are generally better and happier people than those who are not religious. There will always be bad apples in both camps, but by and large I think there are more in the latter.

What a doosey of a topic. For once I'd have to post at odds with Steve!!

The fact that people belive in their argument makes them no more correct than their evidence allows.

By censoring topics you are favouring religion. Science isnt a viewpoint - it's a set of facts. If someone asks what fish in the Mediterranian could swallow a man whole and have him live for three days - the anwser is NONE, and to tiptoe around such topics is to do science an unjustice. (no offence Bobwonderbuns :smile: )

As for religion making nicer people I believe the exact opposite. But this is a bit off topic.

The difinition of life is very clearly different in the bible to science, and as for me
- I'm taking the red pill, I want to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

:biggrin2:

Feelers said:
What a doosey of a topic. For once I'd have to post at odds with Steve!
Nobody ever need fear doing this! I just threw my few cents worth in. I just don't think it appropriate to discuss such matters here. Save it for the next TONMOcon, when you can divide yourselves up into groups, each discussing politics, religion, personalities within the ceph community, Neil Diamond likers .... and the Tintenfisch supporters (you'll probably find me over there in the Tintenfisch camp, having a great time, as I always do - wearing a turban). As an aside, when I got married I became a Hindu, unbeknownst to me, reciting Sanskrit!

Is homogenisation of thought, belief, currency and politics a good thing? We promote a global currency, politics, language and religion, but don't overlook the fact that we promote preservation of biodiversity; diversity includes biological, social, cultural and religious diversity. Let's just leave people and the environment be - we're not hurting each other, unless we start throwing stones! I have spoken to the dead; haven't you?

I'm sure that the original thread had something to do with dead octopus; we should return there.

I'm sure that the original thread had something to do with dead octopus; we should return there.

Indeed :smile:
well here's a good run down on what is generally described as living. Life - Wikipedia

People might be interested that MRS GREEN (I cant remember what each one stands for, respiration reproduction expiration ect) doesnt apply anymore because viruses werent considered living.
I think they have broadened the description because viruses are thought to come from the universal ancestor aswell.

So, I would think we can safely say an octopus can be considered alive in the scientifc sense anyway. :biggrin2:

because religious folk that I know generally have more morals, and are generally better and happier people than those who are not religious.​

:mad:
::Grits teeth::
::Bangs head against wall::
::biggrin2:ucks thread::

whew

I admit to being a bit millitant on this topic. Recent events here in the US have led me to become even more so. Attempts by the fundamentalist religious movement to subvert science have born fruit. Young people are being told to ignore what they learn in school and listen to what the church has to say about Evolution and the origions of the Earth. Questioning a theory is a healthy thing. Its an important part of the process. However, preying on scientific uncertainty in an attempt to trivialise one of the foundations of Biology is inexcusable.

My referring to the Bible as a myth is my opinion. It is one that I do not state lightly. What lends the Bible credibility over the holy Koran, the Torah, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, or the Greek pantheon of mythos? Holy texts depend on themselves as the base of their credibility. You can ask me what makes me think I'm right, but the answer will not be "because I say so". The religion an individual practices has more to do with Geography than personal choice. Were I born in the middle-east, chances are i'd be Muslim. Were I born in India, chances are I'd be Hindu. I was born in America, so I was raised Christian.

feel free to :tomato:

It's an interesting idea that religious folk are more moral, better, and happier than folks who are not. Start reading history. Many of the worst atrocities in the world were caused by people who were trying to impose their religion on people of different beliefs. Genocide has frequently been the result. Moral? I don't think so.

I wonder if women, poverty, oil, spices, land, gold and slavery have caused any war?

I think I'd sooner be an octopus.

Religion doesn't often cause wars, but it also doesn't seem to do much to stop them. Religion is far from being a necessary and sufficient condition for morality, and I'd be so much happier if people would do the logical thing and stop trying to equate them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back