• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Beautiful Peet (GPO)

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Well, she is mine as much as she is anyone's... I am a marine bio student doing research in the feeding ecology of GPO's in the San Juan Islands and Puget Sound, Washington. This is the first of the GPO's I collected and kept for 3 months (just released her a week ago friday) to observe feeding habits . Here you see her in a 500 gal flow through tank at the marine station where I do my research. If there is any more info you want, let me know..

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi Taollan and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

That counts! So you've been keeping a GPO! Any interesting stories or observations for us? Will you be keeping another one soon?

I love those flow-through systems - just think what it would be like to do water changes in such a big tank!

Please keep us posted!

Nancy

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
:welcome: Taollan!

Doubly-blessed: not only do you get to do hands-on research with GPOs, but you're located in the gorgeous San Juan archipelago!

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Eleven years ago I caught my first first octopus, a giant Pacific octopus near Rosario Beach Marine Lab. This was an event the launched me towards a career devoted to studying these animals. A week after releasing that octopus I made my first post here at TONMO, posting this picture of the octopus we had named OctoPeet, or just Peet for short. On the latest episode of Octopodium I relate the story of how I caught Peet.

Members online