Beans is here!!!!!!

I find watching for the curled arm (squid have 2 tentacles, octos don't have any) to be the easiest to notice. Not all species have enlarged suckers and the size and number of enlarged suckers can vary in individual males. There is also a groove on the arm and a different tip but I can never see them (Mucktopus and Roy say the groove is easy to spot but not with my eyes).

It looks like Beans has nice crypsis patterning so you should see (or miss if you don't look carefully) some interesting variety.

So lately beans has been switching dens almost every night. Does an octopus usually move around a lot in its first couple of days?

Beans has been scaring me because i cant find him/her, but it turns out he/she digs under the rock and stays there. I am worried the sand might collapse and he/ she would be buried. Would Beans die if this does happen?

What is the best kind of algae killing medicine you add to the tank that wont kill or hurt the coral? Also wont hurt the octo.

I got a pretty bad algae out break a couple days ago.

Also my friends uncle has a 30-35 gallon SW tank he is giving to me. Is there any kind of octo i can keep in it?

bluespotocto;140254 said:
What is the best kind of algae killing medicine you add to the tank that wont kill or hurt the coral? Also wont hurt the octo.

I got a pretty bad algae out break a couple days ago.

Also my friends uncle has a 30-35 gallon SW tank he is giving to me. Is there any kind of octo i can keep in it?

#1 additional water changes - NO CHEMICAL SOLUTIONS. Besides the fact that the don't work, some will give you a bad case of cinobacteria. The one exception would be to use a phosphate sponge and people have had varying success with these. Adding macro algae to a sump can help too but mostly you need to let the tank age and change out more of the water.

#2 A pair of mercatoris (dwarf, nocturnal) would do nicely in a 30.

How will doing a lot of water changes get the algae of the live rock?

So i i just get Kent marine phosphate sponge and drop it in my filter in the back it will help control the algae in the tank.

I finally got a video of beans!! I am thinking beans in a SHE unless some one disagrees. She came out for about 5 min and cruised around after she ate. I was kinda mad because i didnt take a pic i just video taped her.:banghead: I think her mantle is about 2 in.:sad:

I am not sure how to link the video to here, but you can go to the videos and type in aculeatus swimming.

So i just got a poly-reactor. My LFS said after a series of questions about the tank that the reason i have algae is my phosphate is to high. I got the reactor set up and working. Does any one agree that this will help with the algae?

Also i beans is a she. I got a video of her last night swimming around right after she ate.:smile:

Beans has been scaring me because i cant find him/her, but it turns out he/she digs under the rock and stays there. I am worried the sand might collapse and he/ she would be buried. Would Beans die if this does happen?

The octo I got from the same source has done the same thing. There are shell covered holes under every rock in the tank at this point, some of them are apparently connected under the substrate because I've seen her go in one and pop out another. I'm most surprised that the sand doesn't cave in.

So beans comes out every night now around 4 pm. She starting to become a lot more social.

I tried to give her a shrimp on a stick the other night and she took, but it spit it out a couple mins later. Got any ideas on how to make her eat it?

Also i got a phosphate reactor. My LFS said the it would help with my algae problem. They said the reason i probably have algae is because my phosphate is to high. Will this help with my algae problem?

Some more photos of her.

Attachments

• conv_294442.jpg
    conv_294442.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 98
  • conv_294443.jpg
    conv_294443.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 83
I mean should i use any kind of medicine to get rid of the algae? I swish and rip the algae of but if i dont get every little bit it grows back with in a week and if it lands in the sand it grows in or on the sand. I need help with this.:confused: What do you guys do with algae in your tank?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back