Here is a triassic ceratite from Germany

Attachments

• conv_297485.jpg
    conv_297485.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 161
  • conv_297486.jpg
    conv_297486.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 167
and that makes a nice link back to the Germanonautilus beaks at the top of this thread, since they were once thought to be the beaks of Ceratites (Schmidt-Effing 1972, Mayer 1974).

Thanks. So, now "beaks" is under soft part preservation let's look at some soft part preservation around a beak. I interpret this as a view from beneath of a dorso-ventrally crushed nautilid. The lower image is made with my little UV lamp and is rotated 90 degrees relative to the upper image.

Attachments

• conv_297576.jpg
    conv_297576.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 118
  • conv_297577.jpg
    conv_297577.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 109
You can almost make out some arm molds on there. Is it just a thin film that is reflecting the UV?

Thanks for the Kummel Paper, been looking for that one. :notworth:

Although "Beaks" are actually hard parts, they are commonly found with the associated soft parts, I thought this was the best place for it. :smile:

A couple of close-ups. Yes, these are thin sheets of phosphate in front of the beak, with individual elongate features visible.

Attachments

• conv_297590.jpg
    conv_297590.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 121
  • conv_297591.jpg
    conv_297591.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 125
To help make sense of the specimen above here's Neville (after Neville Hollingworth and a day looking for Permian nautilids in the Magnesian Limestone of northern England long ago):

I've shot this from below so we can see the beak from time to time.

This is the meeting between Brutus and Neville:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back