Beak

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Here is a Triassic Germanonautilus beak from Wollmersheim, Germany (found on ebay). The upper jaw Rhyncholithes is 20 mm long and the lower jaw Conchorhynchus is 14 mm long. This paper by the prolific Christian Klug explains: http://app.pan.pl/archive/published/app46/app46-043.pdf

Attachments

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
There's a new paper (Klug, C., Schweigert, G., Fuchs, D. & Dietl, G. 2009: First record of a belemnite preserved with beaks, arms and ink sac from the Nusplingen Lithographic Limestone (Kimmeridgian, SW Germany). Lethaia, 10.1111) showing beaks of Late Jurassic cephalopods.

Here's their Figure 7 showing beaks of a nautilid, an ammonite, a vampyropod coleoid and a belemnite. Very nice.

Attachments

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Thanks! Are these the beaks mentioned by Phil Eyden here?

I just found this by Tanabe and co-workers. That's a really large upper jaw they describe (97 mm) and they write, ""This new taxon would have been as large as the modern giant squid Architeuthis, which commonly exceeds .. 5 m in body length. Our study postulates that studies of jaws are important to reconstruct the phylogeny of the Coleoidea.

POD-L

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Sorry my pictures were of Nanaimoteuthis jeletzyi from "Late Cretaceous Octobrachiate Coleoid Lower Jaws from the North Pacific Regions" Tanabe et al 2008 JPaleont.,82(2)
:)

POD-L

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Sorry my pictures were of Nanaimoteuthis jeletzyi from "Late Cretaceous Octobrachiate Coleoids Lower Jaws from the North Pacific Regions" Tanabe et al 2008 JPaleont.,82(2)
:)

Members online

No members online now.