Basic ID Info

kpage

Wonderpus
Registered
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread that states basic ID information on different octopus species. I know about mercs, bimacs, aculeatus, and hummelincki, but what about briarius, vulgaris, joubini? What are some basic distinctions between all of these octos? I think this could be a good sticky for the ID Requests part of this site.

Yes, it's a good idea and we're aware that we need this information online. However, a thread with many posts in a forum is probably not the best format for this information. I did a Bimac Care Sheet, and one possibility is to have care sheets for all common species.

Another idea for compact information is a "sticky", an infrmation post at the top of a forum, as you suggest.

In the meantime, you might read the sections in the book Colin and I wrote, Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefish for the Home Aquarium. You would find information on bimacs, aculeatus, briarus, mercs, and some others there. Vulgaris is really too large for most people to keep, but that's also discussed under Large Octopuses.

Nancy

Upvote 0
We've always kept the general species information and the care information about different species in separate places. The Care Sheet, which combines both aspects, is in the articles section. Of course we can have links between these areas. Worth thinking about how best to do this.

Mucktopus, thank you so much, looking forward what you write up about aculeatus.

Nancy

Upvote 0
Yes! We have the information, it's just scattered throughout the site. I was thinking of just a simple thing like the size, where they are found and any distinctive patterns or coloring that would help with ID along with a few pics. It would be really cool to distribute them to wholesalers to see if they could try to ID an octopus before shipping.

Upvote 0
What you're suggest sounds like a quick reference card for IDing commonly sold octopuses. Just the basics, like size, coloration at rest, size tank required, etc.
I think that would be possible to do.

Nancy

Upvote 0
Here is a quick template thought that I think we can accomlish on most that we see, other ideas?

Habitat
Native Body of Water:
Activity Preference: (Diurnal, Crepuscular, Nocturnal)
Substrate:
Depth Range:
Temperature Range:

Mantle
Adult Length:
Colors:
Ocellus:
Patterns:

Arms
Adult Length:
Length Differences: (shorter in front/back)
Patterns:
Proportion to Mantle:
Suckers: (alignment and any color distinction)
Webbing: (percentage of arms)

Eyes
Horns:
Patterns:

Reproduction
Clutch Size:
Egg Size: (small/large)
Incubation Time:

Comments and Behavioral Observations

Photos

Upvote 0
egg type? And texture under the mantle heading. How about where they are found (tide pools, shallow reefs, how far down)? Maybe lifespan (though aren't they generally the same?), behavior pertaining to a certain species (I don't think aculeatus water cannon)

Upvote 0
Having gone though species research when writing our book, I can tell you that the information out there is sometimes sketchy.
We could find all the information for some species, and a lot less for others. But, we could produce something.

And, I'd like to see Habitat added to the list.

Nancy

Upvote 0
Nancy, I probably updated the list after you saw it as I have occassional issues with my internet and save a long post then go back and edit because I get very frustrated if I lose the whole thing :mad:, additionally, the issues with the our editor for long posts is enough to drive even the sane a bit to the other side.

That being said, I will modify the list rather than post a new to add or remove items so always look at the first post to see how it progresses.

Kpage, I intended Patterns to cover the texture topic (I can change it to patterns and textures if you think that is clearer). I did not want to be too specific and have a lot of blanks for the reasons Nancy mentioned so the goal is to give a topic that is general enough to note specifics of an individual species. I will add Egg Type Behavior Observations.

Upvote 0
Excellent. Good points Nancy!

The true temperature range in the wild may be difficult to pin down for most species, and can't necessarily be taken from sst projections because of micro-habitat preference. But gross temp ranges, and information on what works for the aquarium will be most useful. Body patterns should be fine, at least enough to help with ID. I can focus on A. aculeatus but also try and help look into the literature to fill in the gaps with the other species.

Neogonodactylus- are you in?

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back