Barnacle Bill - O. mercatoris

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
LiveAquaria says it's a red Octopus Macropus. we'll see! it's suppposed to get here tomorrow.

:fingerscrossed: its cold out there, except here:heee:

Attachments

• conv_304413.jpg
    conv_304413.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 97
I assume you are up late studying now days so you will have an opportunity to play with it when you take a study break :biggrin2:. I am guessing it is the same species as Puddles and Beldar. Both learned to play squish and were very personable. The bold red and white is very striking if you get to see it but my two only displayed when unhappy so after a time in the tank their color was just kind of reddish brown. My two had a green speckled look (in addition to the bold white spots) that gives them a briareus look but I don't recall them ever being white. The speckles were not that evident to the eye but show up in the photos. They would be one of my favorite species (whatever it is) if it were for the hours that they keep.

Wow he is TINY! I thought Rorschach was small when he cam, but this guy is reallllly small. He seems very happy water temp was about 72.

It, maybe she, has been dripping for about an hour now.

each square on the graph paper is about a 1/4"
IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

Are the back arms considerably smaller than the front 4? Both of mine seemed to have little use for the back ones excep to prop against when on the sand. The front four were not only longer but much thicker.

no, the front two are his shortest. He must have lost them when he was young but they are 75% regrown. the rear two seem the same as the others though. He sure reminds me of a Mercatoris.

I saw a lot of similarity to a young O. briareus with mine but not a merc. The arms were definitely diagnostic so I am guessing she is not the same species as the two I had. Did you ask them for some hint of where it was captured? Since it was Diver's Den (Maya was DD but Puddles LA) and not the standard Live Aquaria, they should be able to tell you.

I never thought to ask.
I have been poking around the other Macropus journals and they all have very long arms, this little guy does not. but his coloration seems pretty similar.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back