Bandesis?

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by Eclipse, May 7, 2008.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse Cuttlefish Registered

Ok as some of you have seen I started a thread in the octo section but was told other than dwarf octos there wasn't anything I could put in my now emptied 29G Biocube. I have always liked cuttles as well but was turned off by the prices of food, although i can afford it, it just seems a bit much for me to rationalize spending. So I am here for a few questions :D .

1. What size shore shrimps and fidlers do you guys feed your Bandesis? I can get ahold of 3 inch shore shrimp easily when I go fishing, and I dig up fidlers as well. If they need smaller then that will be a problem I think (3 months and older).

2. Would it be OK to put a male and female bandesis together in a 29G? If they can behaviorly get along I never liked leaving one species of animal alone with no companionship (from other animal experience it helps longetivity of life).

3. As long as I did frequent water changes, would the filtration on the biocube be enough for two of them? It runs active carbon as well. I would obviously clean up their mess every time and keep very little 'prey' in the tank with them.

Basically I am looking for an active and interactive ceph to put into my 29G, and I love everything I have read/seen about cuttles and the bandesis seem to be my only interactive ceph option.

2. Eclipse

Oh I forgot to ask something, is there any way that some of the experienced keepers can upload or mail me a photo of their tank setup (inside) aka showing tubing, macro algae types and LR arrangements. I will obviously come up with my own but I would love to take a look at how you guys have done it.

3. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Do you have a protein skimmer? I had 3 S. bandensis in a 29 gallon until they were about 5 months old. Then I moved them to a 55 gallon for the next 9 months. While I could have kept up with the maintenance on the 29 gallon, I felt the animals needed more space to move around.

4. Eclipse

Right now there is no protein skimmer on the biocube; however, they do make an attachment that replaces the bioballs that I was most likely going to get.

5. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

You will need a protein skimmer for the amount of waste that a cephalopod produces.

6. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

DONT GET THAT PROTEIN SKIMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me when I say it's a waste of money. They are not efficient for a normal tank, let alone a ceph tank. You will be MUCH better off finding a way to attach one for a 40-55 gallon tank to your tank.

7. Eclipse

Well as much as I want an octo or a cuttle, it looks like I will wait again. I cant justify buying another tank w/ equipment for another project tank right now lol. Plus if I did then I have a left-over (wasted money) biocube that works perfectly fine. :banghead::banghead::banghead: Maybe I will see if one of my LFS will buy the used biocube since they know me real well.

8. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

there are easy mods you can do so that you can fit a normal protein skimmer on. It could take a little work, but then again, what doesn't take a "little work" in a saltawater aquarium!

9. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Unfortunately, this is probablyl your smartest move. If you get something large enough for an Octo, you can eventually switch as they age.