• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bandensis update

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I have been keeping 10 bandensis raised from eggs in an 60 gallon 8 foot tank.
A while ago I separated one that I thought was a fighting male, and she turned around and laid some eggs. Sadly, none of them were fertile.
I lost one to fighting. Her you can see damage under the eye:
deadcuttlebaby.jpg

This one turned out to be a male.
Recently I lost three more over 4 days, but I haven't had time to dissect them yet to determine their sex. Because of the deaths, I decided to separate some of them, and I moved 4 to 1/2 a 100 gallon tank where they seem to be doing fine. I left the other two where they were because they seemed to be a couple - they stayed on one side of the tank while the other 4 stayed on the other. When I went to rearrange some rocks in the 'couple' tank, I found a clutch of eggs. Nice. The next day, a second clutch. Happy me! :biggrin2:
I am thinking the deaths may have been the result of earnest breeding, and the dominant male just wouldn't let up. Hopefully I will get to dissect the dead ones soon for more info.
The other four look like they may be paired off, but who knows.
Soon there will be more info on my site.
Thanks for reading,

RR

Thanks for posting this and letting us know how they're doing. Seems to be a lot of aggression, but also a big success in a new clutch of eggs.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy,

I think the problem with the aggression is that I wasn't quick enough at moving them out of the small tank and into the big tank. I let 'em get too big in the nursery.

Yes, that may be the problem. I forgot to say in my last post, please continue to keep us updated on your bandensis.

How long do you think it will take for the eggs to hatch?

Nancy

Last time it took 3 weeks, so we'll see. I am probably going to send most of the eggs to Jim at Octopets - he has a much better facility (space!) to raise them.

?

will those sepia bandesis live in 70 degree (room temp.) water.im trying to have one live with a common cuttle(she is still a baby so it wont hurt anything).
Also, has anyone tried to cross breed cuttles? if no one has id like to be the first to try... unless anyone knows for sure it wont work. im friends with a genetic scientist he can help me.[/code]

Re: ?

a rabid squid said:
will those sepia bandesis live in 70 degree (room temp.) water.

I don't think so.

im trying to have one live with a common cuttle(she is still a baby so it wont hurt anything).

I would bet cash money they would fight, and one would die a lot.

Bandensis are a tropical species and need temperatures from high 70s to low 80s (correct me if I'm wrong). The lowest I kept a bandensis in was 76. Even if they somehow manage to co-exist, the officinalis is going to grow much larger and will eventually attack the bandensis.

yaay

when they are availible i will buy one for sure and then i will stop bugging you about it :smile: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :goofysca: :goofysca: :goofysca: :goofysca: :notworth: :rainbow: :x 8) :mrgreen: :| :grad: :grad: :bonk: :talker: :sleeping: :jester: :madsci: :bugout: :yinyang: :arrow: :biggrin2: :smile: :frown: :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :rainbow: :bugout: :yinyang: :cyclops: :notworth: :bonk: :goofysca: :madsci: :grad: :heee: :talker: :sleeping: :jester:

srry but i had to

Re: yaay

a rabid squid said:
when they are availible i will buy one for sure and then i will stop bugging you about it :smile: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :goofysca: :goofysca: :goofysca: :goofysca: :notworth: :rainbow: :x 8) :mrgreen: :| :grad: :grad: :bonk: :talker: :sleeping: :jester: :madsci: :bugout: :yinyang: :arrow: :biggrin2: :smile: :frown: :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :rainbow: :bugout: :yinyang: :cyclops: :notworth: :bonk: :goofysca: :madsci: :grad: :heee: :talker: :sleeping: :jester:

srry but i had to

bah! you broke the smiley button!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back