Bandensis just hatched!

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by Chinmo, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Chinmo

Chinmo Pygmy Octopus Registered

hi friends! i'm from singapore... i recently aquired some bandensis eggs! they just hatched today! they are so tiny and cute! can i feed them with newly hatched brineshrimps for the first week? or will they be able to take adults brineshrimps? Please advice:smile:

2. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Congratulations on the babies. Brine shrimp are not a good food source for young bandensis. They should have mysid shrimp or amphipods. They are able to eat food that is as long as their mantle.

3. Chinmo

Thanks u! i try to get other food source.... how long will they start feeding?:smile:

4. Brock Fluharty

Brock Fluharty Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Congratulations!!

5. cuttlegirl

They should start eating in a day or two. Sometimes you won't actually see them eat. Are their yolk sacs still attached?

6. Chinmo

Thanks u!:grin:

Cuttlegirl...i don't see egg sacs.... they are still trying to learn how to swim.... going round in cirlces...while some that have hatch early have more control of the movement already:smile:

Will the black egg sac deflate once the cuttles hatched? or will they still remains the same? rite now i have at least 50 hatchlings!:smile:

The picture attached, was taken 1 week before.. u think bandensis will lay so much eggs? or will a group of bandensis lay eggs together? i got this bunch of eggs when my local suppiler had a shipment of 50 sepias:smile:

7. cuttlegirl

:bugout: Oh my goodness, I hope you have a big tank... That is probably a group of females that laid eggs. I hope you have access to a lot of live food.

The yolk sac would be a little bubble attached to the end of the tentacles. I thought you had only a few babies...

8. Brock Fluharty

Geez!!! That's a whole lotta cuttles!!! Wish you lived in the U.S.!!

9. Chinmo

:banghead: i feed them bbs for the first few days.... meantime... i'll be trying to spawn bettas to get their fries to feed the cuttles baby... also will try to search for mysid too.... u think this way can do?:bugout:

i wish too! :mrgreen:

10. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

you certainly have a lot of mouths to feed!!! And unfortunately that is the hardest part of raising cuttles! You will probably lose a lot to cannibalism but in this instance that maybe isn't a bad thing!

Bettas will never be able to keep up with that amount of cuttles. It would take a week from now to get free swimming betta fry and if you have 1 pair with 150 fry that will last this amount of cuttles about an hour! You'd need about 50 pairs of Bettas.

Are you not near a beach? You couldn't go their and catch your own mysis?

11. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

I also don't think betta fry will be very healthy for them. Freshwater fish/inverts have a different protein to fat ratio than saltwater, so you really want to find something saltwater to feed them.

Good luck

12. Brock Fluharty

I agree. I'd go to the local bay/beach and collect some saltwater shrimp, maybe some small fish, or tidal crabs. Maybe try catching some amphipods or other small critters.

13. paleltuma

paleltuma Pygmy Octopus Registered

god damn that's very many cuddles :shock:

good luck with those. :cyclops: