Ballet of the Giant Sea Spiders

A link on the Red Jellyfish conservation site led me to this recently posted CNN video:

Video News - CNN

These enchanting and graceful inverts were filmed off the eastern coast of Antarctica. Note that before viewing their exquisite little ballet, you will have to sit through some useless commercial -- a different one every time you access the site -- but trust me, it's worth it!

~ TANI ~

Tani,
I think the typical lazy news reporting is a little lacking in that film. Those look a lot more like feather stars than sea spiders so I went looking and found a much more informative film on the expedition from National G but it still does not say what those lovely creatures are (it does show the giant sea spider close up and it is NOT what is in the CNN film)

National Geographic

"D"

dwhatley;112011 said:
Tani,
I think the typical lazy news reporting is a little lacking in that film. Those look a lot more like feather stars than sea spiders so I went looking and found a much more informative film on the expedition from National G but it still does not say what those lovely creatures are (it does show the giant sea spider close up and it is NOT what is in the CNN film)

National Geographic

"D"

Yup.

Architeuthoceras;112046 said:
Feather Star = Crinoid ?

Yes, but mine don't "dance" or jet around like those beautiful creatures. They do seek out the high flow areas in the tank but tend to stay in one place for a month or so then move during the night, usually only about 6-8 inches, to a new location.

dwhatley;112100 said:
Yes, but mine don't "dance" or jet around like those beautiful creatures. They do seek out the high flow areas in the tank but tend to stay in one place for a month or so then move during the night, usually only about 6-8 inches, to a new location.

Mine dont move either, they just sit in their rock acting like they were petrified... wait, I guess they are petrified!:wink:

Architeuthoceras - :roflmao::roflmao: - good call!

Jean, how BIG (from and to)? Mine stay in the highest flow area but I have never seen them "swim", just move around like regular star fish. My tank is small by your standards but is 3' tall and 140 gallons so I wonder if they need something I am missing. I am delighted at their longevity (First one - over a year ago - was an oops, I didn't realize this was "special" when I bought it. The second , an Aussie, - over 8 months - was a rescued "baby crown of thorns" misidentified by the naive purchaser - ate two of his corals - and believed by my not so bright LFS. The recent third was already "shedding" and didn't make it).

Just trying to remember (touch of brain fade this am :roll: haven't had my :coffee: yet!)

They went from a half cylinder 300L (about 79 US G) to a 1000L (about 264 US G) square tank. there was also much more flow in the larger tank.

J

Animal Mother;112250 said:
You are referring to feather stars specifically right Jean?

Yes, a dark brown to reddish purple one called Comanthus benhami from Fiordland in southwestern NZ. We don't hold them often because we have a flow through system it's difficult to keep enough food in the tank for long enough and they just didn't thrive.

you can see a pic of one in it's natural environment http://www.milforddeep.co.nz/gallery.htm# click on the thumbnail and you'll see the entire critter!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back