Bali Octopus?

devi

Blue Ring
Registered
I've been offered another octopus, and I wanted your ideas what it might be. Since the photos are a bit dodgy I'll show first then describe.

It's pretty dark in both pictures, but after I stopped pointing a camera at the poor thing it went a very pale peach type colour. The big distinguishing factor was that it had two brown target shapes on either side of it's mantel which I think you can spot in the second photo at least.
Now I thought these feature would suggest O.Briareus, but it was caught in Bali, specifically Abang, which would rule that out wouldn't it?
Any ideas would be great.

Attachments

• conv_304556.jpg
    conv_304556.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 103
  • conv_304557.jpg
    conv_304557.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 121
I have seen several GPO's (two full grown before I knew what I was looking at :roll:) and have visited our local one twice while she was young and middle aged but I have not seen one of this size (referring to the zoo animal) up close. I was left with unexpected impressions of the animal and have a better understanding about your TONMO rant on aquarium sizes used for them. Ours are kept in a much larger tank (I have not seen the newest environment but they keep improving so I expect it will be at least as big as the last one). One of the unexpected lasting impressions was that I would not want to keep one at home, even with a proper environment (a bit far fetched, I know). I am hoping the display in Seattle will be, as I expect, the way these animals should be displayed and maintained (we will see in 2013 :biggrin2:). I have no second throughts about keeping octopuses and including them in ocean displays but think there are much better alternatives to a GPO when housing is inadequate for the adult. I love the success Thales is having with the Marginatus and would like to see more attention paid to animals that will both entertain and can be housed more easily.

Upvote 0
I got into octopuses because of a GPO, I was working at an aquarium where they had one in a maybe 4ft cube, it was massive though and the only place it could hide was a plaster of paris open clamshell. I thought it was awesome at the time, despite only seeing it move once. Now I see how dreadfully cramped it was, and how badly it was kept, we once had a documentary crew in that wanted to show colour changes and to this end wound it up so badly that it started shedding suckers all over.
GPOs need some more respect in aquariums.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back