Baculites Illustration

Pr0teusUnbound

GPO
Registered
i did some reconstructions of Baculites based on my no-tentacle theory. pic 1 details my idea for the animals tentacle free soft part anatomy and some details of the shell. i find that the Baculites shell is somewhat reminiscent of the Devonian oncocerid nautiloid Acleistoceras. pic 2 quite similar but highlights my ideas for Baculite feeding and fleeing behavior. please tell me what you think.

1 2

Attachments

• conv_305395.jpg
    conv_305395.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 291
  • conv_305396.jpg
    conv_305396.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 336
Architeuthoceras;194629 said:
Excellent!! :notworth:

Looks like you've got it down. Arms of some kind are probably a good idea though, catching food with jaws only seems a little off. :sly:

true, arms would be useful, but evidence is there for ammonoids having arms? after studying the pictures of the baculite specimen with the radula and aptychus preserved inside, im not sure if there was room for tentacles. besides, there are tons of artist reconstructions of ammonite with tentacles, so i felt the need to take the road less traveled and put out something original.

Very interesting, as usual, pr0teusUnbound. I like your work. You guys are really sparking my interest with these reconstructions. Until I start emptying my wallet on fossils...thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back