[Cuttlefish]: Back, at long last...

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by rryyddeerr, Sep 30, 2014.

1. rryyddeerr

rryyddeerr Vampyroteuthis Registered

After a 3 year hiatus, I have decided to rebuild a system and stock it with my favorite ceph!
    I have an old 50-breeder that would be perfect for our small house and a handful of bandensis. Last night i started repurposing an old hutch/bar into a stand. hopefully finish all of the prep work on it by this weekend.
    Initially, I plan to stock the tank with rock and chaeto to create a good habitat for bugs. I will order mysids and amphipods for early feeding and I'm thinking that by late winter i can move them onto grass shrimp, which i can catch locally when the weather warms up.
    I have the idea in my head that it would be really cool looking to illuminate the tank from below, as well as above. LED's are easy to configure and install in custom situations like that. Im hoping algae likes it too.
    Is there any chance, though, that cuttles would find it especially distressing to have light shining up and down? there will be plenty of nooks and crannies in the rock to hide from both, i think.
    Ill post pics of the ongoing preparations and developments. [​IMG]

tonmo, Inkman and DWhatley like this.
  2. Inkman

Inkman Vampyroteuthis Registered

Search ebay they have a lot of small submersible lights spot lights flood Ect. Good luck I'd love to get a bandensis but I feel they would never make the trip to me and I know absolutely nothing about them lol

3. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Inkman, I thought you lived near me... I had bandensis shipped to me, no problem...

4. Inkman

Oh ya im 45min north of pitt who did u go threw and would u use them again

5. rryyddeerr

i used nyaquatic.com last time i ordered

6. Inkman

Ok thanks guys I might use one tank for them

7. cuttlegirl

I might have to visit you Inkman if you get bandensis :grin:.

8. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I don't know how many viable eggs I have and timing is not likely to work but keep watching my bandensis thread :grin:.

rryyddeerr likes this.
  9. Inkman

Awsome lol always welcom cuttle girl lol I will d im gunna have to do some major research on it before I make the plunge

10. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

rryyddeerr likes this.
  11. cuttlegirl

Sorry to hijack your thread @rryyddeerr always happy to see more cuttlefish keepers!

rryyddeerr likes this.
  12. rryyddeerr

[​IMG] [​IMG] Painted the interior with epoxy paint and am in the process of lining that with 1/4" acrylic. Sump plans are pretty simple. Overflow to sock to fuge/DSB10% & skimmer90% to baffles, heater and return.

13. A. Cuttlefish

A. Cuttlefish Blue Ring Registered

Very nice setup, though it seems a little baffling to me(I don't know much about mechanics and whatnot.)

14. rryyddeerr

baffling. haha. keep stopping in to check. ill be making my wife crazy working on it in our dining room, so it should go relatively fast. I love projects. I just need a workshop in which to work on them.

15. DWhatley

LOL, I have found workshops don't help - everything still ends up on the dining room table! However, I am as guilty as Neal.

16. rryyddeerr

READY!?
    i used silicone with plexiglass....
    i am an idiot.

17. DWhatley

Actually, I had done that for temporary barriers/dividers and for immediate need when I was out of the acrylic weld - knowing I would have to redo it. Your post suggests this is a permanent use though so OOPS :wink: . You probably know that there are two kinds of silicone but I'll mention it for posterity (for others reading the post). Most of the ammonia based will now say, "NOT for aquarium use" where the vinegar based won't include that comment but checking the solvent is prudent. The ammonia based will add ammonia to a tank for quite some time. One of MY oops - fortunately I learned the consequences on a 2 gallon experimental tank when I ran out of the stuff I bought labeled for aquariums. I could not figure out why everything died in one tank but not in the "identical" set up of another :roll:

18. rryyddeerr

SOOO, this has been quite the learning experience. I learned what i could about acrylic bonding and assembled the sump again. Everything was going swimmingly until my wife and I went to Utah for spring break...
    Long story short:
    I had to completely disassemble the sump and throw in a tank to replace it.
    I decided to get some fish and a small clean up crew consisting of a spiny blue lobster and a sea star.
    I am about 2 months into that decision and no longer have fish. I still have a spiny lobster though....
    and he gets hungrier every day.
    So after talking it over with my better half, I've decided to follow through with my original plan and order some bandensis eggs.
    Im currently searching for a home for my friend, the lobster..
    2015-05-13 19.37.05.jpg 2015-05-13 19.36.49.jpg 2015-05-13 16.43.10-1.jpg

tonmo likes this.
  19. DWhatley

I hope your floors are OK!

I have a small (ish) Spanish spotted lobster in a non-ceph tank that has been with me a few years (at least 3). He only sheds about once a year now and scared me after the last shed as he did not come out (abnormal) for food for over a month. After almost a month I finally spotted his active feelers in a reflection and have now seen him a couple time (after 3 months) but he does not feed anywhere near as actively as in the past (still put food in every day for him and the single fish that resides with him).

20. rryyddeerr

Update 7/18/15
    about two months ago i took a trip to Sandy Hook NJ with my wife and dog, Porter and collected some sea grasses from large tidal areas at low tide. i knew there were a few pods intermingled with them so i just brought a five gallon bucket of water, grass and some snails home and put them, selectively, in the tank. i saw a pod every once in a while at first and have had many waves of different algae spring up and die off. I also added a bunch of cheato.
    as of today, i have pods crawling all over every surface in the tank. they have created little pockets that they live in all over the glass. they are everywhere. thousands of them. so in essence I've created a farm to raise the food i will feed the cuttles i just ordered. having raised a couple before, i estimate that i have enough food for them to last at least the first many weeks of their life before i ween them onto tiny shore shrimp.
    i will probably start collecting live grass shrimp in the coming weeks and set up a holding tank for them in the basement. i need baby cuttles for my wife to look at before i spring that plan on her tho.
    eggs should be here tuesday.

DWhatley and tonmo like this.