• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Baby Pictures!!! (bandensis eggs...)

Ok, I think I confused everyone... I have two babies currently, two more due to hatch any moment.

I think one is eating, I keep finding dead mysids on the bottom of the breeder tank, so they may be eating just part of them, since the mysids are double their mantle length. I am trying to catch some amphipods in my refugium, but I need to practice my pod-hunting skills... besides I have BIG pods, they are bigger than the baby cuttles.

I caught Baby A staring into the breeder tank the other day. Have there been any studys of maternal care by S. bandensis?

One baby definitely looks bigger than when it hatched. I am worried about the littlest (first-born) one... I hope it eats soon.

Have you thought about ordering amphipods from Sach's rather than mysids? Your dollar doesn't get as many but if they don't eat eachother it might be worth it when the cuttles are big enough to tackle them.

Dan

DHyslop;80981 said:
Have you thought about ordering amphipods from Sach's rather than mysids? Your dollar doesn't get as many but if they don't eat eachother it might be worth it when the cuttles are big enough to tackle them.

Dan

I did order pods from Sach's and that is what I threw in my refugium. My basement is getting a little cluttered with a mysid container, shore shrimp container and fresh salt water container... on the upside, I can't possibly warm all of the containers, so I let the mysids stay at room temperature in a large cooler and they seem to be less cannabalistic. I am also throwing in some liquid food every day too...

First two babies didn't make it...:sad: I knew it was coming, but it doesn't make it any easier. One more baby has hatched, prematurely. It still has it's yolk sac attached so it's not likely to survive either. I have one more egg to go (the rest I have given away). Hopefully some of Baby A's eggs will make it!

Finally got my PC working, it was a bad power supply... have a temporary one until I can order one that fits my computer... Anyway, here is one of the babies that didn't make it. Can you see it???

Attachments

• conv_289789.jpg
    conv_289789.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 85
  • conv_289790.jpg
    conv_289790.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 78
Here is Baby A's latest batch of eggs. She didn't do such a good job of coating them with ink, so you can see the embryos inside some of the eggs - I can see their little eyebuds, so they are definitely fertile...

I also included a picture of Baby A...:smile:

Attachments

• conv_289948.jpg
    conv_289948.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 71
  • conv_289949.jpg
    conv_289949.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 76

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back