Baby Pictures!!! (bandensis eggs...) | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Baby Pictures!!! (bandensis eggs...)

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
Here is a picture of my oldest babies (still in the egg!). Sometimes I can see them swimming around inside the egg. I can see the eyes and I can barely see their little tentacles surrounding the yolk sac. Guess I better order some mysids...

and also a picture of mom, dad, dad and eggs.

Attachments

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
This is so cool, and so exciting. Do you feel like you're waiting for your first grandchildren?

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
I can see the ink sac on the embryos now. I will post more pictures as soon as I get my %&$#! PC working again... I see a hard drive rebuild in my future... in the mean time, I am borrowing hubby's ibook...

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
:goofysca: Just had a bit of a scare... went downstairs to check on the tank and found the breeder tank overturned and the eggs loose in the 55 gallon tank! I found two of the eggs right away, but I had to take out about 1/2 of the live rock before I found the other batch. I figure that one of the embryos should hatch in the next day or so since it's yolk sac is almost all absorbed... the other embryos are not quite so far along.

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
cuttlegirl;80848 said:
:goofysca: Just had a bit of a scare... went downstairs to check on the tank and found the breeder tank overturned and the eggs loose in the 55 gallon tank! I found two of the eggs right away, but I had to take out about 1/2 of the live rock before I found the other batch. I figure that one of the embryos should hatch in the next day or so since it's yolk sac is almost all absorbed... the other embryos are not quite so far along.
Aye, that is scary! How do you reckon that happened?

My girlfriend is determined to keep some Cuttles now. I have officially successfully spread the ceph addiction. I told her there were some eggs available but we're not ready to set up another tank yet.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
:baby: First baby has hatched. I am a little worried it is premature, it still has a bit of yolk sac attached, but its color looks good (that is brown and white with a stripe across its back). Took pictures, but still can't get my PC to turn on... so you will have to imagine a teeny, tiny cuttlefish about the size of a small pea.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
Ok, I think I confused everyone... I have two babies currently, two more due to hatch any moment.

I think one is eating, I keep finding dead mysids on the bottom of the breeder tank, so they may be eating just part of them, since the mysids are double their mantle length. I am trying to catch some amphipods in my refugium, but I need to practice my pod-hunting skills... besides I have BIG pods, they are bigger than the baby cuttles.

I caught Baby A staring into the breeder tank the other day. Have there been any studys of maternal care by S. bandensis?

One baby definitely looks bigger than when it hatched. I am worried about the littlest (first-born) one... I hope it eats soon.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Supporter
Have you thought about ordering amphipods from Sach's rather than mysids? Your dollar doesn't get as many but if they don't eat eachother it might be worth it when the cuttles are big enough to tackle them.

Dan

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
DHyslop;80981 said:
Have you thought about ordering amphipods from Sach's rather than mysids? Your dollar doesn't get as many but if they don't eat eachother it might be worth it when the cuttles are big enough to tackle them.

Dan
I did order pods from Sach's and that is what I threw in my refugium. My basement is getting a little cluttered with a mysid container, shore shrimp container and fresh salt water container... on the upside, I can't possibly warm all of the containers, so I let the mysids stay at room temperature in a large cooler and they seem to be less cannabalistic. I am also throwing in some liquid food every day too...

Members online

No members online now.

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards