• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

baby octo

abate

Cuttlefish
Registered
will a baby octo hunt for itself or will the parents hunt for it. i'm wondering because i want to buy a octopus joubini or a octopus mercatoris and the fidler crabs i want to feed it are several times the size of the babies who are .4 grams big. the other solution of course is just to feed it dead crabs. will that be suficient.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Adult octos will die as their young hatch, so the babies have to hunt for themselves. In general, you'll need to find food that's sized appropriately for the animal, and many octos, particularly young ones, will only take live food. Take a look at the threads about raising mercatoris from eggs to see what the range of foods that were used look like. Note, though, that it's hard to get pygmy species from suppliers that aren't already adults, anyway.

Members online

No members online now.