Baby GPO

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you octo keepers haven't been posting many photos recently, I'll share a pic of a baby GPO from the NRCC. I visited there again at the beginning of the month. (It's not totally confirmed that they're baby GPO's - will have to wait until they get a little larger. There are 4 of them.) Thanks to Jonathan for letting me this and other photos.

Nancy

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Nancy

How big are they? Were they captured?

Carol

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to tell you how big they are - mantle about the size of a large egg, I'd say.

They came from British Columbia and are about 3 months old in the photo. They've been at the NRCC for some time. They live in PVC pipes!

Nancy

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
wow, its great to see that other species are being kept and studied in captivity. I wasn't aware the NRCC had gpo's at all. I'll have to visit the site more often!

There is so little information about specific species of octopus and cuttlefish! Good to see we are getting somewhere!

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
ps.

im no expert at all but had a look at some gpo's on the net and it does look good! right eyes, webbing, and reddy colour! I also read they get to 70 kg

are they going to have to be released? or can they support something that large? what kind of arm span do they get?

great picture!

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
The NRCC has tanks big enough to keep and hopefully breed these guys... a span of something like 8 to 10 feet isnt too much to bet on ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camcraig

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards