• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

baby cuttlefish!

Is there any other way to feed baby sepia bandensis? there are NO suppliers or anyways to get live mysis shrimp in singapore, and i need another alternative to feed the babies with! HELP!

hmm i dont think so, furthermore singapore coastal lines are pretty polluted, how about baby guppies or mollies? or maybe gutloading them? is it possible?!?

What about freshwater ghost shrimp at a pet-shop? Not sure what they have in your area.
You can always try getting shrimp off the coast and slowly clean them. (just an idea) Better than them starving to death.

i`m able to get freshwater ghost shrimp, but arent this usually too big for freshly hatched? i`m getting my eggs in about 2 weeks to 3 weeks time, and its pretty cheap! 10 sing dollar for a cluster! need help! i`ve no clue what to feed them cause mysis shrimp is definitely out, theres no where that sells live mysis shrimp, i`ve checked every single lfs or farms in singapore. anyone had any luck feeding baby guppies?

The problem with feeding tiny guppies to cuttles is that you need so many of them - plus there may be nutritional issues. If you have 10 hatchling cuttles and they eat 2 guppies a day (probably more), that's 20 a day or 140 a week. If you can get 200 properly sized guppies a week and the cuttles eat them, give it a try, though I have a feeling there may be issues long term with just a fish diet.

FWIW, finding appropriate sized food for hatchling cephs is often the stumbling block in raising them.

Can you give us a list of what you can get? (crabs, brine shrimp, fairy shrimp, ghost shrimp, grass shrimp ect...)
JMO and would not recommend: Usually the baby cuttles don't eat much at..... I would start with brine shrimp after about day 4 or five of being born. (just a few since the cuttles are so small) Your tank should have amphipods, start catching them and raise them. Your little cuttles can go a few months with a mixture of brine shrimp, amphipods, and ghost shrimp and if you can switch to frozen foods you will be safe. (just take your time and be careful not to over feed the tank and pollute)
I know, a baby cuttle at 1 month (1/4" to 1/2") can eat a 3/4" ghost shrimp. (but any bigger might frighten the cuttle)

I would realy recomment you to source baby shrimps, with 1/5" in size it would be the perfect food.

Go to the northwestern coast of singapore, i think there you will find masses of shrimps, fish an crabs whith are not so strong polluted.

i can get baby shrimps , but they are the red colour one, those fancy kind, its sells quite cheap here, or i could also get baby ghost shrimp? i heard that feeding brine shrimp would be a big NO-NO unless its an emergency?

MrED;141894 said:
Can you give us a list of what you can get? (crabs, brine shrimp, fairy shrimp, ghost shrimp, grass shrimp ect...)
JMO and would not recommend: Usually the baby cuttles don't eat much at..... I would start with brine shrimp after about day 4 or five of being born. (just a few since the cuttles are so small) Your tank should have amphipods, start catching them and raise them. Your little cuttles can go a few months with a mixture of brine shrimp, amphipods, and ghost shrimp and if you can switch to frozen foods you will be safe. (just take your time and be careful not to over feed the tank and pollute)
I know, a baby cuttle at 1 month (1/4" to 1/2") can eat a 3/4" ghost shrimp. (but any bigger might frighten the cuttle)

Well, i`ve searched almost every single shop and farm, i`m able to get ghost shrimp, brine shrimp, guppies, mollies, but not any cheap marine shrimp, all the marine shrimp are going around 2dollar plus or more for one, crabs too. Oh the ghost shrimp are freshwater , any idea if they can be acclimated to salt water? also, any idea on how to catch those amphipods?

I am sure you have plenty of food with a list like that. (don't worry anymore)
I catch the amphipods by placing a small amount of shrimp (dead) in between some aquarium floss/sponge. (out of sight)
Then before turning on the light, scoop up the trap and collect amphipods. The trap can be what you decide is easiest for you. Idea:::
Small clean plastic container with small holes would do also, just make sure your not placing to much bait.
If you have a sump, you can do it all in there and leave the others in the main tank for the cuttles to eat later.
IMO: I was worried about the smaller foods as teh cuttles were babies. I over did it with raising all kinds of stuff, later to realise these little guys don't eat much at first. (remember: they will eat each other too)
My experiance was; they just did not eat for the first week and then it was once every other day until about 2 months. When they get bigger, hopefully you will have trained them on frozen of some kind, or treat to the 2 dollar menu. :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back