• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Baby cuttlefish, probably bandensis. Questions...

So I am trying to get the little guy used to seeing hands in the tank. I have been feeding in this manner and he has slowly become less shy. Its been a lot of fun to have him since he moved from eating mysis and pods.
My girlfriend took the above video while I was feeding it earlier tonight. I've been feeding him 1-2 shrimp a day, on occasion I'll let him have a third... its too much fun to feed him. Now I need to get some shore shrimp now so they can live in the tank for him to hunt.

Well, I know its been a while since I posted but...
so far, keeping my cuttle has been awesome so far. We're almost 6 months into his life at this point and he is still doing great, eating like a pig and more active and comfortable with me every day. It's been my goal to make him a little less unsociable than the average cuttlefish, so since day 1, I have made sure to stick my hands in the tank as often as possible, keep the glass clean to make sure I can see him and he can see me, etc.

From his initial skittish nature, we've come a long way IMO. Rather than swimming away from hands being put in the tank he now shows some interest. I have been handfeeding it by releasing shrimp in front of him, tho lately, I can actually hold a shrimp with my fingers and he'll take it from there.

Some of this may be normal or maybe even subjective to me, but I do think he's become significantly less skittish over time, which makes me rather happy.

So, last week I began round two:

As you can see, I set up a net breeder in my tank and acquired 2 more cuttle eggs. At this point, 1 hatched (3 days ago) and tho egg#2 has not yet hatched, the cuttlefish in side can be seen when shining a light. It also appears to me he moves inside the egg(?) as sometimes I can see his body near the top of the egg, and other times, its as if he goes to the darker bottom side of the egg.
If you can zoom in on the photo, you can see the baby cuttlefish under the plastic bar from the net breeder barely poking his tentacles out.

The plan?
Well, the idea is that cuttle#1 (...I need to name them all soon...) is aprox 5mo. 1wk old (hatched 4/21/11), and I am hoping that by the point the babies are 4-5 months old and #1 is getting close to months 11 and 12, I might get lucky and get them to mate.
Far fetched? maybe... but I still intend on trying. Of course, any advice is always welcome, and goes without saying I've done more than my fair share of reading on the subject.

Anywho, will be uploading quite a few pics and vids I have of #1, I need to do quite a bit of video editing and what not but will uploaded eventually, hopefully within the next few days.

I'll leave off with a photo (crappy, iphone photo but all I got atm haha.. im at work.. shhhh) of #1 looking up at something.

Attachments

• conv_298646.jpg
    conv_298646.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
  • conv_298647.jpg
    conv_298647.jpg
    715.2 KB · Views: 106

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back