• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Baby cuttes arrived

KDS

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Well, they got here alive, but I am not sure they are doing ok. They are both white and one is staying at the surface. I have mysids in there, but I haven't actually seen them eat. Any advise?

Mine were white when I got them. One stayed red a good portion of the time, but white was dominant.

Is he floating, or hovering at the surface?

How old are they? They may not be eating because of shipping stress. Give them some time to get comfortable with their surroundings.

Brock Fluharty

I got them from Octopus_Reef and I think they are a month old. I would say they (now both are at the top) are closer to floating than hovering. I actually thought they had died for a mintue. I touched one just to make sure. He stuck out an arm but remained white and didn't move. That is really when I started to get worried, when they didn't dart away.
I don't know what I did wrong?

Were they acting like this in the shipping bag?

One of the reasons people ship cuttle eggs rather than babies is that the eggs are better shippers. Shipping any type of marine animal fry is risky. They're just so small and fragile.

Could you post a picture of the cuttles?

I really don't know. I was at school so my mom had to acclimate them. She said they were white most of the time, but they did change color some and were a bit more active. But even if this is just shipping stress, shouldn't they have adjusted by now?

Kami, Give us some info on your setup and where the babies are housed, Do they have hiding places? Are you counting the shrimp at night and in the morning? They are probably not hunting during the day, They will stay white most of the time until they get comfy, what color substrate do you have and how fine is it?
Oh ya they hatched on march 28th :smile:

They are housed in one of those white breeder nets. There is some grass (I think it is called microalgae) in there, so there are plenty of places for them to hide. I don't have any substrate in there though. I haven't really counted the shrimp because they are so hard to find in all the grass, but the cuttlefish aren't going after any of the food that is near them when I have been in there. Some shrimp have actually bumped into them and they still won't get it.
They appear very weak and unable to swim. When they do swim they look like a plane spiraling to the ground out of control. Then they will slowly float back up to the surface. I keep checking on them because they look like they are dead, but one inked and they both changed colors. Still neither of them looks like they can control their swimming (which is what really worries me).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back