Axis - O. briareus

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I got an e-mail from D asking if I was ready for a new octo, as her friend at Island Marine Life caught a briareus. YES! I was starting to ponder fish for the big tank... Nah, never happen. What a perfect way to welcome spring!

Got here (10:30- FedEx was right on with their tracking) as I was setting up the tripod to take pics of some new Fromia ("red tile" starfish). It helped me to be patient and let light into the bag slowly- I just wanted to rip into it!

In a drip bucket right now, pH was 7.4, S.G. 1.021. They shipped it in a really cool way- in a plastic bottle with a screw top lid- then all the usual packaging. It looks to be medium sized, curled up and corkscrewed on arrival, but uncurling now as it warms up.

It's going to be a very busy afternoon and evening here- endocrinology clinic visit and Battle of the Books tonight (most fun you'll ever have reading books with your pre-teen!), so I'll update when I can.

Quick check in- The octo was let loose in the tank at about 1, on our way to clinic. The octo made it in to the tank just fine, and Elise's HA1C is 7.3- which means we are IN CONTROL of diabetes!!! Upon return, the octo was in a great hiding place where we can see it and it can see us- breathing easy, AND Frieda's crate was dry! Now, if my book team does well tonight, all is well with the world!

Probably won't get to posting pics til tomorrow. Not too many anyway, as I acclimate in lower light and don't want to flash a new inhabitant.

MY TEAM WON BATTLE OF THE BOOKS!!!!! The octo looks like it's doing just fine! The only bummer is that there was poop in Frieda's crate, fed her too close to the time we had to leave. I'm not sure which is most exasperating, puppy potty training, acclimating octopuses, or watching 7 girls you coached for 3 months look worried and nervous!

I am not sure what battle of the books is but Congrats! If I got to vote I would say puppy potty training hands down! It can take forever and makes me want to never have a puppy. Of course when you consider that over their life its a short time. But still... I really dont like it.

I did Battle of the Books a few years ago. It was where you read a few books and then the different classes at my school did a sort of Q&A contest about the books. /offtopic

Congrats on the book battle (thank IAlex for the definition, I too had no clue). I'm with Sabrina on the puppy training choice (and then there is the chewing phase - still have not replaced the baseboards in the bathroom from Bailey).

I think...even though nerve racking, acclimating is much more exciting and quicker than house breaking a puppy. Accidents however are not fatal. Using a crate is a good training aid. Make sure it is not too big, they usually hate sitting or laying in it. That being said, my aunt had a dog who loved to roll in "you know what" if they left a pile in the yard.
Keeping my fingers crossed that your puppy learns quickly and the octopus settles in.

my aunt had a dog who loved to roll in "you know what"
We had a basset like that. We called her the basset that would not die. She lived to be 13+ and never returned to being house broken after a litter of pups. One of the few animals that I wish I had not kept.

iAlex;174503 said:
I did Battle of the Books a few years ago. It was where you read a few books and then the different classes at my school did a sort of Q&A contest about the books. /offtopic
IAlex, my journals tend to go off topic, I'm never offended when you all follow my ramblings. My life in general seems to be doing multiple topics all the time!

This morning I saw the new inhabitant out and exploring the back wall of the tank. As the lights came up, it made a retreat into the LR. I haven't really seen it's entirety yet, so I don't know the sex. After the last go 'round in the winter with those quick die offs, I'm just happy and relieved that it appears to be fine! I think it won't be until the evening when I see more of it, though. Julie got a Flip camera for X-mas, so that opens a whole new world of octo documenting for me!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back