Axis - O. briareus

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by sedna, Mar 22, 2011.

1. sedna

sedna Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

I got an e-mail from D asking if I was ready for a new octo, as her friend at Island Marine Life caught a briareus. YES! I was starting to ponder fish for the big tank... Nah, never happen. What a perfect way to welcome spring!

Got here (10:30- FedEx was right on with their tracking) as I was setting up the tripod to take pics of some new Fromia ("red tile" starfish). It helped me to be patient and let light into the bag slowly- I just wanted to rip into it!

In a drip bucket right now, pH was 7.4, S.G. 1.021. They shipped it in a really cool way- in a plastic bottle with a screw top lid- then all the usual packaging. It looks to be medium sized, curled up and corkscrewed on arrival, but uncurling now as it warms up.

It's going to be a very busy afternoon and evening here- endocrinology clinic visit and Battle of the Books tonight (most fun you'll ever have reading books with your pre-teen!), so I'll update when I can.

2. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

Congrats! Welcome to your new baby!

3. Lmecher

Lmecher Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

So you got this one, so happy! Congratulations and :welcome:
    Can't wait to see photos of your new addition. :fingerscrossed:

4. sedna

Quick check in- The octo was let loose in the tank at about 1, on our way to clinic. The octo made it in to the tank just fine, and Elise's HA1C is 7.3- which means we are IN CONTROL of diabetes!!! Upon return, the octo was in a great hiding place where we can see it and it can see us- breathing easy, AND Frieda's crate was dry! Now, if my book team does well tonight, all is well with the world!

Probably won't get to posting pics til tomorrow. Not too many anyway, as I acclimate in lower light and don't want to flash a new inhabitant.

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

:thumbsup::grin:

6. sedna

MY TEAM WON BATTLE OF THE BOOKS!!!!! The octo looks like it's doing just fine! The only bummer is that there was poop in Frieda's crate, fed her too close to the time we had to leave. I'm not sure which is most exasperating, puppy potty training, acclimating octopuses, or watching 7 girls you coached for 3 months look worried and nervous!

7. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

I am not sure what battle of the books is but Congrats! If I got to vote I would say puppy potty training hands down! It can take forever and makes me want to never have a puppy. Of course when you consider that over their life its a short time. But still... I really dont like it.

8. iAlex

iAlex Vampyroteuthis Registered

I did Battle of the Books a few years ago. It was where you read a few books and then the different classes at my school did a sort of Q&A contest about the books. /offtopic

9. DWhatley

Congrats on the book battle (thank IAlex for the definition, I too had no clue). I'm with Sabrina on the puppy training choice (and then there is the chewing phase - still have not replaced the baseboards in the bathroom from Bailey).

10. Lmecher

Lmecher Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

I think...even though nerve racking, acclimating is much more exciting and quicker than house breaking a puppy. Accidents however are not fatal. Using a crate is a good training aid. Make sure it is not too big, they usually hate sitting or laying in it. That being said, my aunt had a dog who loved to roll in "you know what" if they left a pile in the yard.
    Keeping my fingers crossed that your puppy learns quickly and the octopus settles in.

11. DWhatley

We had a basset like that. We called her the basset that would not die. She lived to be 13+ and never returned to being house broken after a litter of pups. One of the few animals that I wish I had not kept.

12. iAlex

iAlex Vampyroteuthis Registered

If the crate is too big they will make a corner of it their bathroom, which isn't very helpful in potty-training.

13. sedna

IAlex, my journals tend to go off topic, I'm never offended when you all follow my ramblings. My life in general seems to be doing multiple topics all the time!

14. sedna

This morning I saw the new inhabitant out and exploring the back wall of the tank. As the lights came up, it made a retreat into the LR. I haven't really seen it's entirety yet, so I don't know the sex. After the last go 'round in the winter with those quick die offs, I'm just happy and relieved that it appears to be fine! I think it won't be until the evening when I see more of it, though. Julie got a Flip camera for X-mas, so that opens a whole new world of octo documenting for me!

15. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Cool. :welcome: to the new guy!

I cant wait to see some pictures.

16. sedna

Only one pic?

Yes, I am lame. The only picture I took of acclimation the other day is this one. I was multitasking that day... I also just really didn't want to use the flash right away, and it was a dark, cloudy day.

Anyway, I did take this shot and risked one flash because I so appreciate this shipping container! The octo came bagged up as usual with all the good packing procedures I've come to expect. But in the bag, the octo was in a plastic jar with a screw top lid, holes drilled all over. In the pic, the octo is in the acclimation bucket. It was great because the octo was already comfortable in a hiding place, and didn't have to move from there until it chose to. I was able to lift the jar into the tank without loosing too much water, it wasn't even exposed to the air. Once in the tank, I unscrewed the lid. It could have used the jar to hide in if needed, but this one was in the tank right away. I can reuse the jar for lots of tank things, too.

The octo didn't come out last night until sometime after 9- only the red lights on. She did come right up on to the glass to see me, not too shy. When Frieda woke me up at 5, it was on the back of the tank, still out a 7 when we got up. When the lights came on, she made an escape, now she's in for the day. Yes, I'm saying "she," but I'll have to see more of it to know for sure. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a fertile girl this time!

Attached Files:

17. DWhatley

You are right, LAME!!!

I really like the drilled jar shipping method that IslandMarineLife and SealifeInc use. In addition to making acclimation easier, the octos have something to hold on to during shipping.

18. sedna

Boy or Girl?

So I finally got some pictures this morning. They aren't that good, but the lights were low and it was moving. It came out last night, some time before 10, and was not at all shy. I opened the top to look down at it and it came up to the top and reached along the surface of the water but not out of it.

This morning it was out still, so I put my finger in along the top to the tank. It grabbed my whole hand with several arms and pulled hard. I've never had an octo be so bold right from the start. I'm sure that if I'd stayed with it longer last night it would have been ready to grab for me then. I kept it short this morning, wary of a bite from one so bold, but it's Friday so I'll be up later tonight.

As I study the photos, it looks like there are some enlarged suckers. Mind you, everywhere I think I see big suckers is where new growth has begun. Most of the arms have been severed and have quite a bit of new growth, on the few whole arms, the suckers are very much more uniform.

I'm excited to have such a friendly octo, and have named it the Axis. It's bold as love...

Attached Files:

19. sedna

Axis

Here's another one.

Attached Files:

20. DWhatley

If you will look at some of Cassy's last photos, you will note that the longer arms (the two front one seem to be naturally shorter and thinner and the second pair are thicker and longer) have considerable suckers even on the females so you will have to watch to see if Axis keeps the third arm to the right curled. The briareus I have keep have shown this early so if you don't see it soon, I would assume female.

Kara noted that this one was both gentle and curious when she was feeding and photographing it. Lynn wants nothing to do with handling an octopus even though Kara makes him carry an "octo cup" when they collect where they have seen them :grin:.