awaiting a Marginatus to arrive on Wednesday

reverhart

Blue Ring
Registered
Looking forward to Fedex on wednesday
Found a petstore with a Marginatus in of all places arkansas, bought it and it will be overnighted tomorrow

supposed to be a baby, when curled up smaller than a 1/2 dollar

I asked if it was a aculeatus, every fish store in town seems to have these right now-- he said no its a coconut octopus, or veined ocopus--and its been eating ghost shrimp daily

can't wait to see
thinking of starting him out in my 28gal nano before going into the 240 gallon tank-- afraid I'll never see of find him in the big tank

If its a Octopus, Marginatus-- I'll post info to the pet store in cae he gets more

lol, thats the scary part, I asked for a picture--couldn't get one--found out later, its because he is setting up a second pet store, in AR, he was in MO at the time, won't be over to that shop until tomorrow

I'll get a bunch of pictures wednesday--told him if its the right kind of octopus, he may get hit with a few requests?

I bought it, then had to arrange shipping myself--which was kind of a pain

If he is getting them in, other will too. However, we haven't seen this species collected for the trade ever - probably because they aren't in the areas collectors mostly collect in, and partially because they don't collect well (they can freak and die). For work, we had to go to PH to collect them ourselves (awww my job is terrible!). The supplier we work with said they can get them, but we are only trying that out for the first time in the next couple of weeks. I think these would be a the perfect pet octo.

Anyway - that was rambly! I hope you get and A.m and I hope to see pics soon!

That's great! IMO the best looking octopus species out there.
Thales, if you don't mind me asking, what is your job? Sounds like something I would like to do when I graduate.

FED EX--out for delivery, waiting for my wife to call me so I can come home from work!! pictures tonight--crossing my fingers its a coconut octopus

I am glad I got here to read all of this at once. Thales and I have bandied about why these are not available as they seem ideal so I got to be excited and let down quickly.

Misnaming is quite common. Some places don't care if they misid things...no one sends them back! Get a pic before ordering and I am sorry you didn't get what you wanted.

no worries, but I'm going to educate this guy on different types of octopi --
its the shipping that pisses me off-- I could have bought 3 or 4 octopi for what I paid for shipping--

oh well --- this one is really small haven't even got a realy good look of him yet, hoping he'll come out later today so I can check him out--hiding in a little hole in a rock right now

Well on the plus side since its a baby, you should have it a long time. I loved my aculeatus. He was fun and would be out and about all the time.

As far as the shipping you are so NOT the first one of us to pay more than its worth. I did when we "thought" we had found a source for bimacs that turned out to be a Californian Lilliput (I got to see it 2 or 3 times in the 3 months I had it before it died) and the other more resent example is Capt bought a merc from Diver Den on Live Aquaria. He can get those all the time as he is in Florida. It definitely sucks!

In any event congrats on the new aculeatus.

I've been thinking today after looking at pictures of different octopus
I have found a picture of a coconut octopus that resembles the one I recieved last night-- I wan't able to get a good look at him/her as she stayed curled up in the bucket, and when loose in the tank was hiding in the rocks
I thought a Marginatus would have a yellow siphon, and the veins woudl be pronounced--then I found some pictures-- and I know I saw stripes on the arms of the octopus last night--and some triangle marking on the body--also the suckers were white, and the siphon was white

From a website: "The main body of the octopus is typically around 8 centimeters (3 in) in size, and, with arms, approximately 15 centimeters (6 in) long. The octopus displays a typical color pattern with dark ramified lines similar to veins, usually with a yellow siphon. The arms are usually dark in color, with contrasting white suckers. In many color displays, a lighter trapezoidal area can be seen immediately below the eye."

so from the first two pictures the octo can look quite different, the last picture is the aculeatus , which has the pronounced stripe, both the the aculeatus I have had, and currently have one (hiawatha) have had this stripe --but no bands on the legs?
I'll have to look at him when I get home tonight, I aslo expected a Marginatus to have relatively short legs

So What should I look for to tell the difference?--thanks

Attachments

• conv_298659.png
    conv_298659.png
    413.9 KB · Views: 118
  • conv_298660.png
    conv_298660.png
    470.9 KB · Views: 136
  • conv_298661.png
    conv_298661.png
    338.7 KB · Views: 116
I am afraid staff is a bit slow this week. I know I am way behind my post reading. TONMCONIV starts tomorrow and several of us are madly dashing to finish presentations.

If you have not found it yet, watch Thales video on the marginatis they brought back from the Philippines (in his blog at this link). Watch it once for fun and then a couple of times to pick out identifying traits. I've not yet kept one (and I would be on that list you suggested my develop if this is a marginatis) so I don't have first hand observations to help. The paragraph you quoted does note on of the features I suggest examining and that is the color at the base of the suckers that will give a ring like appearance. The only caveate is, all of them can show white so the credibility of your source depends upon how much observation he/she has first hand. The ring color, when present, has been consistent in the ones I have kept and only changes in shade, not say from orange to blue (but I have kept CAN show white). Aculeatus will show a purple/blue most apparent in actinic lighting. Hopefully Thales will have some input on the ring color for marginatus. I did note in the video that the arms are longer and more robust than I thought from watching other videos. I too expected something on the order of a hummelincki.

Also, I have notice that my joubini can show either a white or orange funnel. Colors at acclimation can be VERY misleading and I usually don't use color until about two weeks of settling in. Many will be brown for that period of time (depending on the environment).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back