I agree. It was a good movie. I wasn't expecting much but it surprised me. Well worth checking out and defnintely very marine inspired.

The tailer looks like great effects but it give the stong impression a stoy that makes the US look like war mongers who believe they can take whatever they want and have no respect for life. I was really turned off by what could be seen of the story line and was sad that they waste what appears to be great effects on this kind of story.

It was a really the best movie watching experience I've ever enjoyed. The story kept me on the edge of my seat, the FX were incredible, and some good food for thought included but NOT PREACHED. We don't see many movies in the theater, we want to go back and see this one again!

dwhatley;147846 said:
The tailer looks like great effects but it give the stong impression a stoy that makes the US look like war mongers who believe they can take whatever they want and have no respect for life. I was really turned off by what could be seen of the story line and was sad that they waste what appears to be great effects on this kind of story.

D - definitely, I was disappointed with that aspect. It's an old formula; one that I don't appreciate either (war generals as blood-thirsty bad guys without morals). I'm not big on that; you'd think with such a beautiful movie they could transcend such tired stereotypes. BUT - it wasn't the only part of the story and the movie is by no means wasted. There are several story lines in this movie, most are very cool (the spiritual way of their society, for example), and the effects are amazing.

That is pretty much what I got from the trailer and was so sad because the effects look fantastic. They could have used the technology for something more in line with Anne McCaffrey's Pern series (man against natural perils on another planet) and had the multi story combination. With the popularity of Harry Potter, I don't understand why they chose such a negative base and I resent that it will become an international favorite that once again paints the American people in a bad light. IMO, the subliminal undercurrent is more damaging than most people think.

I enjoyed the eye-candy aspect, but I thought the plot was predictable and the characters were two-dimensional even though the effects were three-dimensional. Still, it held my attention well enough.

As the sister of a Marine and daughter of a Viet Nam combat veteran, I agree that there was a degree of stereotyping- the scientists were also nerds. I liked that the main characters overcame that and came together for the overall good. One of the things that I think are lost in society today is that military people are as varied in their individual opinions and interests as the private sector- I know tree hugging, liberal Democrat Dead Heads that are Marines. They could have played up that aspect a bit and left the predictable image of a mindless war mongering general out of the picture. Still and all, I go to the movies to be entertained, and this movie delivered.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back