• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Australian Species

Decay

Blue Ring
Registered
hey everyone, this seemed like the best place for my question. i live in australia (on the queensland coast) and and about to set up my first marine tank to get my first octopus. ive done quite a bit of reading on how to set a tank up, and general octopus care, but it seems there are very few australians out there who keep these animals as pets.

as a result i am finding it very difficult to find a list of species available here, and any kind of specific needs they might have, other than the blue ring. having grown up with the danger of them at the beach i have no intention of getting a blue ring, especially as my first octopus, so im left wondering what kind ill end up with, and if ill have any way to identify it.

ive been looking for an octopus for years and am usually met with very strange looks from pet stores who have no clue where, or even why anyone would keep an octopus. i finally found a person who works at a pet store who specializes in finding unique marine animals for the pet trade, but there seems to be no established dealers who could give me any information about what im in for.

does anybody know of many australian species, or even a general idea of what size to expect? im planning to get a 100 gal tank and hope its suitable, and ill be using my current 50 gal as a sump. other than that im just trying to find as much general information as i can and hoping that something ive read can be adapted to whatever i end up with.

From time to time we do have people keeping octopuses and even bobtail squid in Australia.

I would try aquarium stores around the coast. Also, some of our Australian octo keepers collected their own octopus.

Roy's suggestion to start with Mark Norman's book is also excellent.

Nancy

thanks for the advice. i tried to find that book today, apparently no bookstores here can even order it in. i might have to get it online, but ill see if my supplier can give me any info first, the exchange rate is a killer at the moment.

wow u think a book of astralian cehelapod would be easy to get in australia

i have an octo dude hes from karrathar dont know exact speciase but they only stay smallmaybe 45cm full length go check out carines marine they get pretty good stuff

I'm not sure where to find the book Roy mentioned, but Norman's Cephalopods: A World Guide is pretty easy to get, although it's organized by species more than location, so it takes some browsing to find the Aussie local species. Amazon has it in the U.S., for example.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back