Australia just says "dame" to Japanese Whaling Vessels

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070115/sc_afp/australiajapanwhaling

So... My question is, why does whaling still exist in the first place? It would seem that whaling is the worldwide pariah of fisheries, and is about as popular as a D.E.A. agent in a Haight-Ashbury smoke shop. So, how economically important is whaling and can it be ended without destroying economies or creating a new escalation in violence against whaling vessels?

"We're whalers on the moon, We carry a harpoon.
But there ain't no whales, so we tell tall tales
And sing our whaling tune."
- Futurama

I have to admit, I'm impressed and pleased with Australia's Environment Minister Ian Campbell. I'd like to think that it might make a difference, though I'm sure that there are many small island nations in the South Pacific that would let them make port in exchange for foreign aid. Japan's been known to bribe before, especially in the IWC. And its good to hear that Greenpeace and the Sea Shepards will be patrolling the area. Read an article last term for my Environmental Ethics class by Paul Watson.

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back