Aussie ceph lover

Hi everyone. I'm a long-time ceph lover. Just joined the forum after watching the "Monster Squid: The Giant Squid Is Real" doco. What an amazing doco. I was uncomfortable with anticipation throughout the whole thing. Haha.

So, my name is Kylie. I was born and grew up in Whyalla, South Australia, which some of you might know is a special breeding place for the Australian Giant Cuttlefish.

I'm keen to make other ceph-lover friends. I think my "normal" friends have somewhat accepted my love of tentacled things and they always send cephy news and pics my way. But I don't think they really understand.

I have a blog that I'm hoping to do more with this year. Gonna write a bit of a review of the doco, I think. If you want to check it out, it's kylie and the cuttlefish

Facebook: Kylie Saltmarsh
Twitter: https://twitter.com/kythulhu

Hope to get to know people on this forum :lol:

:welcome: KylieC. I have the same kind of great friends and family. They have little interest in my hobby but do a great job finding cool stuff on gift giving occasions and spotting cephy stuff on the internet (just got two cool ice cube trays for b'day). They all know more about cephs than the average Joe but only because I go into long explanations when they are near the tanks and can't escape :sagrin:. Here, however, I am way out classed by my peers but love introducing what I have learned to the new keepers.

Did you have the opportunity to dive in Whyalla during the giant cuttle breeding season?

Awww. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Yes D, I always get great cephy gifts too. I haven't been diving with the cuttlefish. I actually can't swim and have a bit of a fear of the ocean, which is probably a bit strange for a lover of sea creatures. Haha. I just enjoy them from afar. And I've enjoyed supporting some conservation activities regarding the Whyalla cuttlefish.

Anyway, time to check out the other forum bits.... :smile:

Hi, I've been fascinated by anything eight tentacled for years, and a resident lurker on Tonmo for awhile.....its all neat stuff to follow. I recently was lucky enough to move to Adelaide last year (from the UK) and just about to invest in some snorkeling kit so I can have a look at a little of the underwater realm myself for the first time (doubt I'll ever be able scuba due to a bit of mild asthma).

Already managed to catch a glimpse of southern right whales from Victor Harbor last winter from the shore and that was awesome :smile:

I also watched the giant squid doco last night - stunning and I like your write up...enjoy your stay!

kyliecuttlefish;196340 said:
I love the little "welcome" smileys.

David, you know that Whyalla and the cuttlefish are only a 5 hour drive away from Adelaide. Thanks for checking out my blog too btw.

No worries! I am sure we'll make it over that way sometime in the future - especially once I've got a bit of confidence with the snorkeling. There are so many places around SA alone that we want to visit and it's been quite an adventure so far, feel very lucky to be here :snorkel:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back