Augustus - O. Vulgaris

Look at the top of this forum for List of Our Octopuses 2010. The species are noted and are links to the journals with photos. O.briareus can color like the photo you referenced but are always smooth skinned with almost not crypsis (bumps). It is most likely that you have a hummelincki (this species has a lot of questions though and there may be multiple animals going by the name). The two most identifying traits are a pair of bulls eye looking eye spots under the true eyes and very quick tapering arms. Vulgaris looks very similar but shows much less crypsis, does not have the eye spots and has longer, thicker arms.

Augustus does not look at all like Simon or Monty - mantle and arm ratio is much different. Augustus's arms are much longer and thicker. No eye spots either, that Ive seen. He has definitely covered himself in horns though on two occassions.

Two good pics - from this morning, as he was peaking his head out.

Attachments

• conv_297099.jpg
    conv_297099.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 116
  • conv_297100.jpg
    conv_297100.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 105
Was just getting a good look at his arm - no purple suckers. Additionally, he's definitely nocturnal so far but was sitting atop the rocks around 6am (just before the pics were taken as the sun was starting to come up).

I believe you will find Augustus' twin here

Linda, remind me never to counter your thinking again :oops: :biggrin2:.

Jabba, I think your larger tank is likely to be in order. I am so jealous but would have a nightmare stripping (which I really want to do anyway) the only tank I have that would get by accomodating this one.

sk252006;164563 said:
Nice find. I'm kind of glad I didn't order from Tom now. No way could I keep one of these guys. So your 2000 gallon tank should make an excellent home for him.

Heh - once the current inhabitants move out - the sharks LOVE squid and octopus. Particularly my wobbegong - another species which may or may not get huge. The ornate wobbegong and banded wobbegong look nearly identical - so close in fact that until 2008, scientists didn't even realize they were two different species. But ornate wobbies max at 4'. Banded wobbies can reach 10+' - and without a really detailed evaluation, the only way to tell is if the shark exceeds 4' - then you know it's a banded wobbie. Right now he's about 30" long.

Augustus wasn't out much that I saw last night - I suspected the large crab was possibly harassing him, so into the shark tank the crab went. Now we'll see how the crab likes it!

lol - started looking for a different big tank for him this morning - since I bought my 10K gallon tank from these guys - aquaculturetanks.com - I'll be going back to them. I'm thinking a half round tank, with a huge viewing window.

Yeah, definitely nearly identical - particularly around/between the eyes, and the coloration of his nostril (what's that called on an octo?). I read through el Diablo's whole journal to date. VERY cool. I'm very excited - going to add some toys this coming weekend.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back