• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Atlantic and Pacific Octopus?

SueAndHerZoo

Wonderpus
Registered
Hi there.
The LFS that told me he could easily get me octopus if and when I'm ready elaborated a little more today. Below is an e-mail I got from him:

Both pacific and Atlantic octopus are available. I can get you a "blue ring" if you're feeling lucky! I really don't know much about them besides they get out of everything. I've only sold a few. My supplier mentioned "mimic octopus" don't know anything about them Bit they sound very cool.

I'm guessing "Pacific" and "Atlantic" is too generic of a name and I won't find much if I do a search for those, right? Do you know what type he might be referring to? (Obviously he was kidding about the blue-ring).

And I'm guessing the "mimic octopus" his supplier refers to might be cuttle fish?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sue

SueAndHerZoo;172055 said:
Hi there.
The LFS that told me he could easily get me octopus if and when I'm ready elaborated a little more today. Below is an e-mail I got from him:

Both pacific and Atlantic octopus are available. I can get you a "blue ring" if you're feeling lucky! I really don't know much about them besides they get out of everything. I've only sold a few. My supplier mentioned "mimic octopus" don't know anything about them Bit they sound very cool.

I'm guessing "Pacific" and "Atlantic" is too generic of a name and I won't find much if I do a search for those, right? Do you know what type he might be referring to? (Obviously he was kidding about the blue-ring).

And I'm guessing the "mimic octopus" his supplier refers to might be cuttle fish?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sue

Pacific and Atlantic = ABSURDLY generic. There are many, many different species of octopus. I highly recommend reading The Cephalopod Page by Dr. James B. Wood. There are a handful of species that are good for the aquarium.

The mimic octopus is a species of octopus, but one that we don't recommend.

The mimic won't be a Mimic but a Wunderpus. Both have disappearing habitats and are not suitable for a hobbiest (the acutual mimic is not likely suitable for an aquarium). You can read more in the exotics forum (you will need to be signed in to see it) as to why we dicourage casual keeping.

Unless you have a chiller and want to keep a cold tank, an octopus from the Atlantic is most likely to be a warm water species. Indonesian octopuses likewise (they are never listed as Indian Ocean but often as Indonesian or Bali). We rarely see any listed as from Mexico (but sometimes you will see Caribbean which will also be warm water animals (often from Haiti). This is no help at all with species but does give a slight clue on water temperature requirements.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back