At last, some good news re: commercial whaling

I tried my first jellyfish last nite as a matter of fact. No flavour, more of a texture, similar to squid but more gelatinous. Personally I think whale would be fantastic - enormous steaks. If only aquaculturing them was a vaible option. I would love to go swimming with whales, I have only ever seen them from the shore.

Why would landlocked Mongolia be interested in whaling? With the stupid current system they now have as poweful a vote as any other country.

I just mean the current system is openly exploited by Japan ect to join "token" members. The thing is that the money gained(or bribed) can actually make a difference to a country like Mongolia, so they are even more likely to vote for whaling. Its a tough problem. But with each new member its looking worse for the whales.

I hate the downward spiral everything seems to be going in. I think the answer is by appealing to pop culture. Super hero - Captain Planets of the environment, like Steve Irwin.
Personally I hate the idea of pop, but it sells. Imagine international man of mystery Steve O'Shea, "pimping up" research vessels donning a set of bright gold teeth spelling "Squid'. :biggrin2:

Its kinda like that guy who discoverd a new species of monkey. He is auctioning off the right to name the species, and the money goes into their protection. I would rather see a Starbuck coffeus monkey than no monkey at all.

Now to sell the idea to NBC or some other acronym.

bigGdelta said:
Japan and Norway obviously don't need the money, while some of the Inuit people do. maybe we could put a moritorium on whaling techniques using anything besides canoes and hand harpoons. If the whalers have a little danger maybe there won't be so many. let's give the whales a chance to take out a few whalers.

Absolutely agree 100%! Besides, the Inuit and other aboriginal peoples have always known and been able to hunt sustainably without any science or governmental regulations. They know that you don't kill more than is necessary, as when you do it is you run the risk of dying out.

I think all environmental bodies everywhere should be turned over to the aboriginal people of the area until us westerners (or whoever else lives there) catch up.

Cheers!

Matt Jones said:
Well, soon it's just going to be us and jellyfish... The fishing industry is starting to piss me off. No, wait, we can eat jellyfish. Well, us and plankton.

Welllllll actually just us! Antarctic Krill is made into surimi paste yummmmeeee :yuck: and good ol' spirulina is a brackish water phyto stuff!

j

Disturbing news indeed from the International Whaling Commission. Several new countries have joined the pro-whaling bloc, this could tip the hand of the voting to a partial return to commercial whaling on Friday. The pro-whaling bloc will be in the majority in the IWC.

How could this happen? Behind the scenes dealing, back-handers and trade agreements in return for votes?

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Whaling nations set for majority

I was at a conference last November and the keynote speaker Sir geoffery Palmer (An ex-prime Minister of NZ and at that time our representative) predicted that this would happen as they only just stopped it the last vote.

Saw that on Yahoo! News just a few minutes ago and breathed a small sigh of relief. I still can't believe some people think this way. At the very least, most of these animals contain too much mercury and other biotoxins for people to safely consume them. And thats forgetting the intrinsic value these creatures have, how much is still unknown about them, etc.

Does anyone know how long this meeting is? All weekend? I guess I'll be holding my breath for a bit longer...

Cheers

Duplicating yours Monty, but it's worth it - further signs of good news!

"Pro-whaling nations, led by Japan, lost two key votes Friday at the International Whaling Commission's annual meeting - an indication they may not have the majority necessary to take control of the body and try to repeal its ban on commercial hunting.

In the first vote, Japan sought to remove the issue of hunting dolphins and porpoises from the agenda of the 70-member IWC meeting on the Caribbean island of St. Kitts. But it failed by a 32-30 vote.

In the second vote, Japan lost its bid to introduce secret ballots, something the group has never done for major initiatives in its 60-year history, officials said. The resolution failed by a 33-30 vote, with the Solomon Islands - a nation that usually sides with Japan - abstaining."

It's just a matter of waiting and keeping the land-locked but somehow pro-whaling countries happy before Japan can resume the ole' killing endangered mammals (read: whales) thing. Fun!!!! :mad:

chrono_war01 said:
It's just a matter of waiting and keeping the land-locked but somehow pro-whaling countries happy before Japan can resume the ole' killing endangered mammals (read: whales) thing. Fun!!!! :mad:
But stacking the whaling commission with non-whaling Nations was a tactic first used by the conservation lobby 25 years ago to introduce the whaling ban - so now that the pro-whaling lobby is doing the same thing it 's a bad tactic?:confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back