Ask Dr. Barord (aka, Dr. Nautilus)...

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
@gjbarord i know it's been quite a while since you saw this, but have you been able to restudy if the movement the nautilus was performing an act of movement or something else? And if you havent do you plan to study it if you get the time and funds to? Also, off topic, but whats your favorite nautilus fact?
@NiceAsANautilus (great username by the way!)

Are you referring to the nautilus moving out of its chamber as discussed above? I haven't been able to look more into. I imagine the best way to do that would be to have some kind of time lapse camera on a nautilus system 24 hours a day. We currently do not have any nautiluses in our lab but hopefully that will change soon... It is definitely something I want to continue to look into. Just haven't had any opportunities at the moment.

Now, to my favorite nautilus fact. There are so many!!! My #1 favorite nautilus fact is... that they are able to regulate their internal pressure by varying the amount of cameral fluid and gas in their chambers. This means that even at 500 meters, their internal pressure is near 1 atmosphere, what we experience at the surface. Of course, if most nautiluses live below 100 meters, which has about 11 atmospheres of pressure, why do nautiluses do this? Does it help to explain that they used to live in much shallower waters throughout their history? Is it related to the vertical migrations many populations do each day?

What is your favorite nautilus fact??? What is everyone's favorite nautilus fact?

Greg

NiceAsANautilus

Hatchling
Registered
@gjbarord one of my favorite facts is that they were able to survive for so long, and i really like the fact that the fuzzy nautilus was able to remain undiscovered, or unseen for about 30 years! i think it's amazing that these creatures are still able to survive, however, i still don't know almost anything about the nautilus as i just got back into marine biology, and cephalopods. But you did say it would hopefully change soon about having them in the lab, but if what i read on the internet is true (which is highly improbable) but dont they die in captivity within a year?

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
@NiceAsANautilus

Yeah, the fuzzy nautilus is an awesome animal that we really know nothing about, other than that it is still alive.

Nautiluses in human care live longer than one year. There certainly are instances of mortality in less than a year, but you'd have to also ask more questions about how old the nautilus was, what it's conditions were, how it died, etc....

Greg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miamibeachsteve

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan