Articles on Octopus Food Choices and Nutrition

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by DWhatley, Sep 18, 2009.

1. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

2. DWhatley

Articles about feeding Octopuses

During some of my octo rabbit trails I came across these articles discussing attempts to feed octopuses fish diets. The studies were done to see if commercial animals could be raised more economically as food.

Article(PDF): Experimental evaluation of the energy balance in Octopus vulgaris, fed ad libitum on a high-lipid diet
    Note: fatty fish (high-lipid diet) were fed and evaluated against crabs, mollasks, etc (low-lipid high-protein)
    Article(HTML): Growth and mortality of common octopus (Octopus vulgaris) fed a monospecific fish diet.
    Note: Groups of vulgaris octopuses were exclusively fed mackerel for 72 days
    Full Article (PDF or URL): The use of alternative prey (crayfish, Procambarus clarki, and hake, Merlucius gayi) to culture Octopus vulgaris (Cuvier 1797)
    Note:

3. Taollan

Taollan Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Articles on Octopus Food Choices and Nutrition

Or in other words I finally published my masters work after sitting on it for 3 years! In short what we found is that lipid digestibility in O. rubescens may influence what this octopus chooses to eat.
    You can find the abstract here or you can email me for a reprint if your interested.

4. DWhatley

Articles: Octopus Food Choices and Nutrition

Creating this as a way to cross reference posts about octopus nutrition and appropriate foods.