[Featured]: [Article]: Vampyroteuthis infernalis (by Phil Eyden)

Well, it turns out it's more like 800k. I can't seem to attach anything this big to anything else. So, I've posted it here:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~wstoddar/vampyronassa.pdf
I should take it down in a week or so to make sure it doesn't appear on the google search and get the publishers mad at me. Also, another neat article:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~wstoddar/voultesurrhone.pdf
This is on the whole formation with some belemnites in there as well. Also the clam or oyster that's above the vampy here and the not yet pictured shrimp that's behind it.
--Will

Vampyronassa

Just posted 2 pics for approval. Here's the main one.

Attachments

• conv_290933.jpg
    conv_290933.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 230
Well, if you have full access to the opriginal french version, I'd be willing (during the week-end) to translate it for you (French is my first language, my geology years were either in french or english and my paleontology class had both language).

Thanks everso much for the the links Willsquish, the images were fascinating. Unfortunately my 'O' level grade 'C' French 1985 wasn't quite up to the job. If Stephanopod would like to have a crack at translating the cephalopod sections I'm sure we'd all very much appreciate it. Thank you for the offer.

Interesting to see the web has been reconstructed as varying in length dorsal - ventral. The overall shape is incredibly similar to Vampyroteuthis.

It was also to interesting to see Rhomboteuthis, that's one I had heard of, but have not seen a reconstruction before. The long tapering gladius reminds me of the much better known Plesioteuthis.

Stephanopod;96355 said:
Well, if you have full access to the opriginal french version, I'd be willing (during the week-end) to translate it for you (French is my first language, my geology years were either in french or english and my paleontology class had both language).

That'd be wonderful, though it is pretty huge (I fear it may take awhile).

Well, my main squeeze won't be back before the 22nd.That ought to keep my me away from almost certain temptations. Whci one shall I start with?

And by the way, I wouldn't mind having someone to check on overall style. Some of the french form might pop in once in a while.

Architeuthoceras;96228 said:
:notworth: Great articles Will, Thanks for posting those.

And thanks for the Pics.

Are you a :vampyro: :grad:

Well, I've been called a squid before, but only by my squid sister. I am a grad/ soon to be researcher, but not in this field I'm afraid, at least not in terms of being published/publishable. I envy those that are. I do aerospace engineering, but also was a naval architecture undergrad, along with an aero undergrad and a paleo minor. Took all the paleo classes offered at University of Michigan, and indeed did a term paper on the sutures of ammonites vs the nautiloid septae. That aside, I research only for my own curiosity, and probably won't be published, unless I switch over to paleo full time. I've heard that all sorts of majors can actually get into paleo grad program in University of Chicago or something. I'm almost tempted to go there, since aerospace is getting awfully competitive. Anyway, so that's my background.

Perhaps I am a :vampyro: and a :grad:, but not a professional :vampyro: :grad:

Stephanopod;96371 said:
Well, my main squeeze won't be back before the 22nd.That ought to keep my me away from almost certain temptations. Whci one shall I start with?

And by the way, I wouldn't mind having someone to check on overall style. Some of the french form might pop in once in a while.

Whichever you like. I'm biased in favor of the vampyronassa article, due to the total ceph content (no arthropods to muddle through) and the fact it describes mine in great detail, but as I say, whichever you like. After all, some others here might like to hear more about the rhomboteuthis or belemnites. Thanks again in advance for looking into them! :notworth:

Oh, I just wish I had a copy of a translation of both those stunning articles when I wrote my pieces on Fossil Octopuses and The Vampire Squid. Some of the information there would have been invaluable. I did attempt to contact the museum at Voulte at the time, but nothing was forthcoming after a brief initial response. Oh well, it's a good couple of years ago now...

I suppose revised versions would not be out of the question one day.

willsquish;96379 said:
Whichever you like. I'm biased in favor of the vampyronassa article, due to the total ceph content (no arthropods to muddle through) and the fact it describes mine in great detail, but as I say, whichever you like. After all, some others here might like to hear more about the rhomboteuthis or belemnites. Thanks again in advance for looking into them! :notworth:

Then vampyronnassa it will be. Just don't expect a version by tommorrow. It might take a bit of time. My priority right now is to make a round-up of the US grand prix on sunday for a web site i'm with since 2000.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back