[Article]: Folkestone Fossil Beds (by Phil Eyden)

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Fossils' started by tonmo, Apr 25, 2004.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

TONMO.com Fossils Moderator Phil Eyden has provided the following article on Folkestone Fossil Beds.

Folkestone Fossil Beds

Thanks Phil for this excellent piece and its accompanying photos and illustrations. :notworth:

For more articles related to Cephalopod Fossils, visit our Fossils page.

2. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

great article Phil :notworth: makes me wanna go find a cliff and start poking around!

J

3. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

8)

:notworth:

4. um...

um... Architeuthis Supporter

Yeah, :cool:.

I want to be a palaeontologist when I grow up again!

5. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Thanks chaps!

Went back to the site yesterday but had no luck whatsoever this time. Now it's starting to get warm the beach is getting picked over by weekend wanderers and the clay is drying out making decent specimens harder to spot. The bits I found were really dull! TONMO member Roy, on the other hand, found something absolutely stunning......it wasn't a cephalopod but is by far the best fossil I've seen in situ at Folkestone.

I won't reveal what it was just yet, that honour belongs to Roy. Hopefully we will see an image on his website soon.

Oh, by the way, this is me having more luck last month.

6. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

is that a leather jacket under the vest you apparently swiped from the police/parking attendents/streetsweepers? :D

7. Phil

Er...yes leather indeed. It was cold that day you know, about ten degrees celsius. The hi-vis was reversed to obscure the logo, afterall we don't want everyone on the beach to know what government employees get up to on their day off!

8. Roy

Roy Larval Mass Registered

Folkestone Surprise Find!!!

Hi all,

Thanks to Phil for an excellent guide to Folkestone. We found some excellent ammonites and a particularly special find...

... possibly a plesiosaur tooth! We're getting this confirmed shortly.

(See attached picture)

I've also added a page to my website at...

www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/folkestone.htm

Roy

9. Architeuthoceras

If I say that is a dog tooth this time, it will really be a marine reptile :P

The family Placenticeratidae is a member of this superfamily, possibly descended from Anahoplites, they grow very large, and have small tubercles, and are very common in late cretaceous rocks of the western interior of North America.

Large Placenticerids being collected in Colorado

10. Phil

Hmm...ah well, one lives and learns I suppose. I feel a bit embarrassed about that one now! Actually that dog or wolf tooth was partially mineralised so it could well have been of Quaternary date, which sort-of makes it interesting.

I think this time the money is definitely on for a marine reptile, a large close up of the tooth is attached. There were no serrations on the edges and it was about an inch and a half long. Certainly fragmentary elasmosaurid plesiosaur fragments have been found in the area, a partial skeleton was collected in 1877 of Mauisaurus gardneri , though I'm not sure if that is still a valid name or not. I think ichthyosaur teeth are generally stubbier and more conical but I'll have to find some more pictures to compare.

Any opinions would be welcome.

Kevin,

the section on the Hoplitaceae was purely compiled from internet sources and a chart in Clarksons' book. If I've made any errors, please just shout and I'll alter the text accordingly.

Cheers, Phil

11. Architeuthoceras

I was almost sure that last tooth was a mosasaur :oops: so I'll just let the vertebrate folks ID the new one.

On another forum, the question was asked if Hoplitaceae (maybe Hoplitoidea is a better name, aceae looks more like a plant suffix) was a strictly European taxa. I was just pointing out that there are many descendants in North America,

Hoplitidae, Neogastroplites, in the Early Cenomanian

Engonoceratidae, Engonoceras, Metengonoceras, Cenomanian

Placenticeratidae, Placenticeras, Hoplitoplacenticeras, Late Cenomanian to Campanian ?Maastrichtian

And there may be Albian representatives in NA, but I don't have any Albian marine deposits to look in, so I am not familiar with ammonites of that age.

I guess I should have posted this to the other forum, but I am not registered on it, and besides, TONMO is where everyone comes for information on cephalopods.

Sorry for the confusion Phil, don't change your article because of my ranting.

12. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Sorry for the belated reading. . .

Great article though! :notworth:

13. Phil

OK, it seems that we have got the ID on the tooth sorted out. As usual I was wrong, the tooth was not a plesiosaur but almost certainly a bizarre form of Cretaceous swordfish called Protosphyraena ferox. You can see a picture of a reconstruction here with another image of the tooth if you scroll down to about halfway:

http://www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/Folkestone.htm

(I give up with vertebrates! Too difficult......)
    [​IMG]

14. Hittite Chariotmaster

Hittite Chariotmaster Pygmy Octopus Registered

Just a quickie but following my morning devotion to Nammu, Goddess of the Primeval Sea, Creator of all Oceanic life forms and featured sitting astride a large Ammonite [Alledgedly the Famed Ammonite of UR] I had a thought regarding the Folkestone site.
    Considering the rocky terrain and clay deposits would it be advisable to leave my squadron of War Chariots at the Local Chariot park or does Phil consider that it is in fact Chariot friendly terrain :bonk: ?

15. Phil

Hi Hittite Chariotmaster,

Glad to see there is another follower of Sharruma, 'the calf of Teshub' around here in East Kent. Actually, Hittite theology has been in the decline around here recently, though the local supporters do still cling to the old ways. I believe there is a large enclave in Aylesham, but that's another story.

It is interesting to note that your Warchariot is an ideal storage/collection engine for ammonites, note the ample room for storage and room for tools. A local Hittite palaeontologist has been spotted in the vicinity of Folkestone beach last summer and I took a quick snap of him collecting the 'Horns of Inaras', or 'Daughters of The Sea'. Perhaps I could arrange for you two to meet up for an expedition together?

By the way, there's a good fish-and-chip shop in Tontine Street.

[​IMG]

16. Hittite Chariotmaster

Hittite Chariotmaster Pygmy Octopus Registered

All Hail to Teshub, 'The Conqueror', 'The king of Kummiya', 'King of Heaven, Lord of the land of Hatti, Divine ruler of fossilised marime life, Creator of Hittite Sausages etc. His wife Hebat was a bit of a trout by the way, as for Sharruma [Damn Hurrian import] rumour has it he was a bit of a drama queen [Enough Hittite God gossip].

As you would no doubt expect from a ressurected mass dissembowler my particular War Chariot is the Deluxe Si model [Slave Injection] with an almost TARDIS like storage system including 12 Slaves capacity. So is indeed well fitted for Fossil finding expeditions as a basic 200kg load capacity exists[Depending if Horse or older Oxen powered model].

Your fine picture shows the MkII version driven by the Sorcerer Johnnus Hughesss [Famed for his powers of Invisability] I think perchance that this evil satanist was in fact looking for his "Lost Balls of Go-Lef". Having had his goolies chopped off for naughty deeds and cast away by the Sea-God. Presumably they too are to be found at Folkestone!

Hopefully the aforementioned "House of Sustenance" [Chipshop] will accommodate myself, horses and slave retinue. In exchange for you help a "Holy bag of chips" will be brought to you by Hapantallis, the Sun-god's shepherd.

Finally would it be possible for either yourself [Follower of the Dragon Illuyankas] or any other readers of this fine tablet to recommend some easy reading on the fossils of kent / care of / Chariot friendly terrain to find them on. :P

17. Phil

Greedings, Lord of the Horses of the Stables of Uruk,

You mean there are other people reading this drivel?

Seriously, one fine tablet worth obtaining can bartered from the Museum in the Market Square in Dover printed by the noble scribe-house of “British Fossils”. The small papyrus stele has been translated as being titled “Where to find Fossils in Southern England” by the notable Lord R. Coram BA Hons (Oxon) (1989). It tallies to the sum of £1.50, but I’m sure in your case you could, instead, exchange 3 pregnant ewes or a collection of sharpened flint or copper hand-axes.

This Stele of Revealing is small in size but details in digestible segments province-by-province notable fossiliferous beds from the City-States of the Isle of Sheppey coastwards to that of the Severn Estuary.

Thankyou for the details of your war chariot. Perhaps one could consider attaching enormous trowels to the wheel hubs so that one may ride along the cliff face excavating the scree with the minimum of effort using horse-power?

I shall not comment upon the evil Sorcerer Johnnus Hughesss as I feel he is in league with the Necromancer Khris Bar-neth the Inscrutable and I feel their wrath would be unconducive to those of us still on TP. (Anyone still reading this twaddle – don’t ask).