[Octopus]: Arthur - Aculeatus, my first octopus

I'm not sure. These guys seem to be always hungry, so leaving them without food for one day might fine but I think with absolutely no food for a few days... Well, let's just say I don't think people would want to take that risk. I don't think they have auto feeders for shrimp. I did think of doing that when on holiday, but I searched and didnt find anything

I feed daily but there are keepers who feed every three days. Lowering the temperature to about 72 might help a little but you will need to feed multiple (depending on the size of the octopus) live crabs and have someone to come in and remove the shells, top off the tank with fresh water and add new by the third day.

Houdini eats every 3, days even if I offer it sooner. I'm experimenting with smaller portions more often now since she has gotten larger but each Octo is different.
You should have someone feed him while you are gone and they can use bamboo skewers with thawed pieces of raw shrimp, silversides, salmon, ect... I prep mine all up first, then put them in small Rubbermaid containers to freeze. I grab a piece out, thaw it, and give it to her.
The food should be chopped small enough for the Octo to consume. Too big and it spoils and turns the water foul pretty fast.
I would have a trusted friend or family member come over a few times and learn with you how the feeding process goes and how to inspect the tank and surroundings in case of an escape.
I wouldn't leave them unattended or unfed any longer then 2-3 days maximum.
Even if you have crabs in the tank they wouldn't last too long, and need to be removed after consumption.

Hey again. Was just thinking I would post an update. So I'm getting my octopus the next few days. Things are looking great and its most likely a wunderpus instead of the previously thought abdopus aculeatus. I've heard the wunderpus is threatened, but sadly it was the only one availible. Also I was wondering if the light hanging like in the picture attached would be alright or if it could be of any harm to the octopus?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 256
Last edited:
The octopuses that we keep in aquariums need a dark place to den but there is no known issue with lighting for 8 to 12 hours. The fish, however, is another concern.

First, Welcome to Tonmo!!! I drip mine for over an hour at least, depending on condition on arrival. There was one that arrived so stressed I dripped on a very slow speed for over 2 hours so as not to shock him. Usually I put the bag in a bucket with the drip line going into the bag, and secure it with a rubberband or clip so as not to have an escapee. I am sure others with chime in with their preferred method! Anxious to see pics of your new octopus!

It usually takes me 3 hours to match water parameters with octopuses arriving from FL so the timing is very dependent upon the differences in the water. You need to be able to watch the animal the entire time to prevent escape and to be sure it is not stressing.

Thanks for the replies. By dripping, do you mean you slowly fill the bucket with water from the aquarium while the octo is in its bag? Sorry if it's a stupid question. And how can I tell if it's stressing? Inking is an obvious sign, but what else?

Arthus is in the hooouuuse! He is smaller, but more beautiful than I imagined. After one hour of acclimation I took out the clownfish but left the imperator as I couldn't get get the hold of it, and put Arthur in. He isn't shy at all! He's been slowly exploring the tank the past two hours. He seems super happy. So I was gonna give the fish to my friend, but it was so sad to get rid of them that I decided to put them back in and watch them closely. Till now they have been curious and have been looking at him, but they haven't touched him yet. So I'll watch them for three more hours until I go to bed and if they haven't touched him by then, I'll keep them for now. And the imperator is just minding his own business so I think he'll stay anyways. All in all, I'm super happy. Oh and btw, I got him a serpent star.
Also I underestimated his suckers so after I got to feel them when I put him into the tank, I'm a bit nervous about the filter. The current is strong, but if he decides to go in there, I think he can hold on. Any tips on how to stop him without stopping the current? It's a 1 cm diameter hole and then a maybe 8 cm long tube (shorter than his arms stretched out) in to the propeller. Any ideas on how to stop him from entering without stopping the current it's making?
And lastly I'm a bit curious about the species. I was told wunderpus, and at one point it made this pattern on the mantel that looked like a wunderpus, and it's from Deli, Indonesia, but I still haven't seen the typical black and white stripes wunderpus have. I'll attach some pictures.
IMG_3714.JPGIMG_3716.JPG IMG_3723.JPG IMG_3726.JPG

Never mind about the filter problem, I fixed it. He seems to like this pot here. IMG_3739-1.JPG
Stayed there for a pretty long time while watching out with one eye. Until the lights went off at least, then he went out into the rocks.
Can octopuses hear the same frequency as us? I saw this documentary on the vulgaris being able to hear/feel supersonic sounds and that way "predict" eruptions, but can he hear me if I talk or make a lot of noise?

Definitely not Wunderpus and most likely aculeatus (definitely Abdopus complex).

A sponge around the intake should work to keep his arms away from the impeller if your current solution fails. This species can throw an arm if it becomes trapped so watch the arms carefully.

This is a diurnal species and much more entertaining than a Wunderpus (usually very shy and often do not do well in an aquarium). I do wish you would remove the fish. Aculeatus are often quite active but the fish will likely keep him in hiding, may impact his eating and are likely to pick on him causing stress and possible death.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back