Areas of Cephalopod Abundance

Pr0teusUnbound

GPO
Registered
i remember hearing on a bbc documentary that "there are areas in the south atlantic where squid are more abundant than fish". does this mean that certain cephalopods are better adapted to survive in certain environs than fish are? and what conditions are those?

I have only read about about squid friendly unfriendly fish environments with the news media coverage of the Humboldt squid (Dosidicus gigas) in recent years. The articles mention that they easily live in the low-oxygen zones where few fish survive but this is an inhospitable layering and not a body of water (which I assume you are searching for). Certainly the deep water squid would also fall into that overall thought as well but they are not considered abundant.

What about favorite "cephing holes" (you know, akin to fishing holes, but with cephalopods)? I've read posts of several members, primarily in California, that can take a ride down to the seashore & spend the day Octo-spotting. The implication is that their encounters are consistent. Not an isolated body of water, but maybe certain areas of seaside, or geological features they seem to prefer? Where do the pro's go to connect with them in nature, or are such places guarded secrets to prevent "overcephing" (I'm having way to much fun with this)?

I have areas here in Miami and the Keys where I can go and constantly find octopus Briareus, but they are also areas i find high numbers of other sea-life, such as stone and blue crab, Fl. Lobster, Juvenile sharks, sea turles, stingrays. I wouldnt say there is more or less of a particular species but just areas of abundant sea-life in general do to the right combination of environmental factors.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back