• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Are sepia bandensis more nocturnal?

rcmike2

Cuttlefish
Registered
He everyone,

I have had some baby bandensis for nearly a month and have noticed during the day they pretty much sit around on the bottom unless I put food In the tank for them. During the night there is at last a couple of them swimming around or at least hovering in he water column. Is this normal behavior? Will they get less nocturnal as they get older?

Thanks for the thread bump. Here are a few details I should have included also. I don't know 100% these are bandensis. I got them from bluezooaquatics.com and they don't specify which species they are. I read somewhere that the ones someone else got from them were bandensis. I also have them in a small critter keeper I converted to a refugium sitting on top of my frag tank. The lighting is pretty bright so I thought maybe that was the problem. I turned off the light over them for a day but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I have had them about 3 weeks. They were very tiny when I got them. Two of them are in my avatar in a net breeder right after I got them.

My bandensis were more active at night when they were first born, but the older they got the more active they became during the day. I'm not sure exactly when, but definitely by the 3 month mark, when they were sexually mature and I took them out of the breeder net, they were fully active during the day for the rest of their lives.

I wouldn't worry about the light. Cuttles are fine with bright lights. Just keep taking care of them and feeding them during the day and they'll start being more active. I dont know whether they are day or night active in the wild, but they will learn to be out during the day if thats when food is available.

Thanks. I have noticed in the last few days that they are getting a little more active. Yesterday afternoon one of them was staring me down. I would move my head left and it would move right. I would move it back right and it would move left. Lol

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back