Are sepia bandensis more nocturnal?

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by rcmike2, Apr 12, 2014.

1. rcmike2

rcmike2 Cuttlefish Registered

He everyone,

I have had some baby bandensis for nearly a month and have noticed during the day they pretty much sit around on the bottom unless I put food In the tank for them. During the night there is at last a couple of them swimming around or at least hovering in he water column. Is this normal behavior? Will they get less nocturnal as they get older?

2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

3. rcmike2

Thanks for the thread bump. Here are a few details I should have included also. I don't know 100% these are bandensis. I got them from bluezooaquatics.com and they don't specify which species they are. I read somewhere that the ones someone else got from them were bandensis. I also have them in a small critter keeper I converted to a refugium sitting on top of my frag tank. The lighting is pretty bright so I thought maybe that was the problem. I turned off the light over them for a day but it didn't seem to make a difference.

4. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Do you know how old they are? They are a little boring when they are little... How big are they?

5. rcmike2

I have had them about 3 weeks. They were very tiny when I got them. Two of them are in my avatar in a net breeder right after I got them.

6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I am thinking about ordering from them, just have not quite pulled the trigger so PLEASE keep updating :grin:

7. mucktopus

mucktopus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

I think they're night-active in the wild. @Thales?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  8. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

My bandensis were more active at night when they were first born, but the older they got the more active they became during the day. I'm not sure exactly when, but definitely by the 3 month mark, when they were sexually mature and I took them out of the breeder net, they were fully active during the day for the rest of their lives.

I wouldn't worry about the light. Cuttles are fine with bright lights. Just keep taking care of them and feeding them during the day and they'll start being more active. I dont know whether they are day or night active in the wild, but they will learn to be out during the day if thats when food is available.

9. rcmike2

Thanks. I have noticed in the last few days that they are getting a little more active. Yesterday afternoon one of them was staring me down. I would move my head left and it would move right. I would move it back right and it would move left. Lol