are octp[uses hardier than corals

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by H. lunulata, Mar 29, 2005.

1. H. lunulata

H. lunulata O. bimaculoides Registered

hi are corals hardier than octos or is it the other way around i am just curious but what fish as far as hardiness goes would you compare an octo too(bimac)

2. Black96WS6

Black96WS6 GPO Registered

Direct quote from The Cephalopod Page:

Up to 500pm Nitrate!!!! Any coral would immediately disintegrate in those kind of conditions!

So, based on those observations, it looks like Octos are hardier than corals.

The important thing is acclimating them properly when first introduced, keeping the temp cool for coldwater species, and ensuring oxygen levels are high and no heavy metals exist.

And if you take issue with those numbers, don't yell at me, yell at Dr. Hanlon :wink:

3. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

I'd say that soft corals are much hardier than octopuses, especially the leathers and the like.

Anecdotal evidence doesnt do it for me and still isn't an excuse for nitrates as high as 500ppm, pH as low as 7.5 or low salinity levels. Not yelling just pointing out that years of experience here strongly dissagree.

4. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Personally I don't think one is hardier that t'other. I think they are both specialized and both require careful handling!

J